Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
busboy_gw

Aprilair dehumidifier fan motor replacement.

busboy
10 years ago

I am posting this merely for informational purposes. I am on my third fan motor in my unit in the last five years. These motors were covered under warranty thank goodness. (german motor- BIG$$) My de-humidifier is ducted into the main ductwork downstream of the air handler. It works well in conjunction with the Trane clean effects. In order to get the full effect of the Trane air cleaner I have to leave the blower on the air handler ON continuously. Well after 3 motor replacements a bright tech came out and when he opened the dehumidifer he found the fan blower was spinning backwards due to the back pressure from the main air handler. Thus, whenever the dehumidifier came on the sudden torque applied to a backwards spinning fan was destroying it. The fix was to install a backflow damper to prevent the fan from spinning backwards when the unit was not running. Hopefully this has fixed the problem. Wanted to put this out there in case anyone is having problems with applications like this and having motors die prematurely