Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Heat Pump for Mobile in Seattle?

Posted by biscribbon (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 21, 11 at 19:27

I am thinking about having a heat pump installed for my single-wide mobile home. I'm not sure what the installed cost will be and have not gotten estimates yet. The electric forced air furnace works OK and I supplement that with an electric oil burner portable heater so the FA heat only comes on 2 or 3 times a day. Still, my electric bill from Puget Sound Energy hit $300 a month last winter and I do not want to repeat that. I can afford to pay cash for a heat pump system but I'm not sure if the cost is justifiable. I don't plan on moving for years so I look at it as an investment. I replaced all of my windows with Milgard Style Lines last year and that has been a big improvement.

I had a guy from PSE come out to seal all of my registers and he crawled underneath and inspected the ducting and said that it was in fine shape. He also told me that my FA furnace was pretty good.

I live in Kenmore, WA which is pretty close to Seattle and also is just off of Lake Washington so the days can get fairly chilly in the cooler months.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Heat Pump for Mobile in Seattle?

Well, a heat pump will be 2.5 to 3 times more efficient than the electric furnace. YOu can drop your bill considerably. That being said, you probably don't have much insulation in your place with bills like that. I'm in Olympia and my bill last month was $103 (also PSE) for 2,981 sq. ft. It was a pretty mild month overall.

Any way to get more insulation in the place?

o

My mobile is a '72 Brookdale with aluminum "siding". What insulation I do have in the walls is good and there are no water or air leaks. My PSE bill for last month was $82 - for less than 1000 square feet!

o

For a singlewide, a package unit may be the only heat pump that can be installed.

o

Please elaborate re "package unit"

o

get the heatpump. It will pay for itself in energy savings after a decent number of years. I see your electric bills dropping from $300 to less than $100.

o
How-to, All About, Tutorial

That is what I am hoping for. Any good online "Heat Pump for Dummies" type of tutorials?

o

I see no reason that you could not have done an online search for yourself. Do you want us to install and pay for it too? The nearest helping hand is at the end of your arm.

Here is a link that might be useful: Package unit

o

So sorry to inconvenience you. You clearly have more important things to occupy your valuable time. Thank you for your assistance to-date but from now on kindly ignore my posts, as they seem to aggravate you.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here