Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Heat pump good for Indiana winters

Posted by buster100 (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 17, 12 at 19:12

We are looking at building a new house in a neighborhood where gas is not available. My experience 20 plus years ago with heat pump is they are expensive and house is still cold all winter. Heat pump could not keep up when temps were in the 20's or below. Coil heat would come on and that was expensive to run.

If I spend the money and purchase a good heat pump will it be as good as gas heat? Or should I find another neighborhood with gas available?

House will be <2,500 sq/ft single story including finished basement. Well insulated good doors and windows,etc...

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Heat pump good for Indiana winters

I personally think you should look at a neighborhood that has nat gas service.

However, if your home has good construction and insulation qualities, then you might consider Carrier's relatively new Greenspeed low temp heat pump system.

That would be my starting point.

IMO

o
RE: Heat pump good for Indiana winters

Just put a bit more money into your walls. Finding NG may not be easy and you can overcome NGs advantage for a relatively small cost in better walls/insulation etc.

There was a guy in Iowa (much colder) that was spending $20 a month on electric resistance heat. Why have anything else when you are insulated that well.

Obviously that is an extreme but the point remains that you can overcome the higher cost of your fuel by building better. Also the heatpumps are far better especially Greenspeed.

It isn't that hard to build well enough to cut your heating load in 1/2 or even less.

You also have the geothermal option but often times better walls/insulation is a cheaper route.

By better walls - 2x6 with fiberglass is basic code minimum. And may not even cover it in 2012. What you really want is foam exterior sheathing - and probably 2 inches of it in your climate with no NG. Do your research here - if you don't have NG, it can really pay to build a good structure.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here