Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dlesn

Trane vs Bryant Estimates

dlesn
9 years ago

I have a 2400 sq ft house (1200 sq ft main level and 1200 sq ft finished basement) built in 1997 in the Madison, WI area. I am going to be replacing my Furnace and A/C, I have received estimates from Trane and Bryant dealers so far. Do these prices seem reasonable and what would be the better choice?

Trane:
Furnace: $3,355
60,000 BTU Trane XV95 two Stage/Variable speed gas furnace with high efficient variable speed blower motors, Model No. TUH2B060A - 97% efficient. Lifetime limited warranty on the heat exchanger, a 10 year limited warranty on internal functional parts and a 2 year labor warranty. Trane model 624 programmable thermostat with bridge for Internet access and Honeywell F100 16x25 media air filter.

A/C: $3,000
2 ton, 16 SEER Trane air conditioner, Model No. 4TTX6024 single stage air conditioner. This unit features a 12 year compressor warranty, 10 year component warranty, 2 year labor warranty.

Bryant:
Furnace: $3200
80,000 BTU Bryant 925TA048080, two stage, multi-speed blower, 96% efficiency. 10 year parts warranty, 5 year labor warranty. I would be keeping my current wifi thermostat, that has two stage function.

A/C: $2800
2 Ton, 16 SEER Bryant 116BNA024. 10 year compressor and parts warranty, 5 year labor warranty.

This post was edited by dlesn on Mon, Oct 13, 14 at 18:15

Comments (13)

• tigerdunes
    9 years ago

I would want to see a load calculation for both heating and cooling.

Any basement level at or partially below grade carries very little heating load.

I like the Trane quote best. However that furnace for best operation needs a true two stage thermostat for best operation and functionality of the two stage high.efficient furnace. Operation of furnace should be based on thermostat load demand not a timer or software algorithm on furnace control board. Yes, a big deal.

The Bryant quote with furnace is oversized.

IMO

This post was edited by tigerdunes on Tue, Oct 14, 14 at 6:46

• tigerdunes
    9 years ago

Nonsense from Bryant guy. The Trane dealer should provide a load calculation to support his furnace size recommendation which I believe is correct.

IMO

• dlesn
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I'm sure I can get the Bryant to change to the 60k. So if they were both 60k the differences would be the Trane is slightly more efficient and would have the media air filter and the Trane thermostat but only 2 year labor warranty. With the Bryant just a regular air filter, I keep my current thermostat, but it has a 5 year labor warranty. Both companies have high reviews. The Bryant would be a few hundred dollars cheaper. But I feel I am getting more with the Trane. What would be my best choice?

• tigerdunes
    9 years ago

Plain and simple, the Trane system is a better choice. The furnace has var speed blower. The Bryant does not. The Trane AC condenser is nicer than the Bryant Legacy model.

I would like to know the Trane evap coil model number. And make no mistake, the Trane furnace requires a true 2 stage thermostat that controls the heating, not a software algorithm or a timer on the furnace control board. Don't cheat yourself or this furnace with a cheap substitute that hurts this furnace's full functionality.

IMO

• hvtech42
    9 years ago

You're comparing apples to oranges. The Bryant condenser is close to builder grade, the Trane is the highest end single stage unit they make. The Bryant would be quite a bit more expensive if you asked them to upgrade to the models equivalent to your Trane quote. That, plus the sizing would make me lean towards the Trane quote as well.

• dlesn
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for your input so far.
    I've decided to go with the Trane. He gave me another option for the A/C to go with if I wanted to save money; it is a 2 ton 13 SEER, model no. 4TTB3024, 10 year warranty on the compressor and components and 2 year warranty for labor for $2,270. That is a $730 difference from the 16 SEER.

Obvisously in the long run the 16 SEER would save me more money, but how long would it take to make up that $730 difference when I maybe run the A/C for 4 months out of the year and only 2 of the months are when it really gets hot here?

• tigerdunes
    9 years ago

I would not do that.

Not a fan of XB series of condenser, too low end and can be noisy.

Ask for a price on XR15 condenser or XR13 condenser if you are intent on saving money.

What thermostat selection? Needs to be a true two stage model like HW Prestige 2.0. Don't shortchange a nice furnace.

What did you decide on outside AC condenser? Hope not the XB series.

IMO

This post was edited by tigerdunes on Wed, Oct 22, 14 at 16:16

• dlesn
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The thermostat is XL624 with bridge for Internet access.

• dlesn
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I am being given a choice of thermostat between the Trane XL624 with the bridge for internet access or a Honeywell model TH6320WF1005 with WiFi build in. I like the idea of the Honeywell because it has the WiFi build right into it unlike the Trane, which I would have to have a separate bridge attached to my internet router. Overall though which one is the better thermostat?

• tigerdunes
    9 years ago

You need a true two stage thermostat for a nice two stage furnace where thermostat controls staging based on demand not a timer on control board or software algorithm that will always go to high stage whether needed or not.

I don't believe either of models mentioned are two stage thermostats.

HW Prestige 2.0 would be my choice. Don't cripple a nice furnace with a cheap thermostat.

IMO

• dlesn
    Original Author
    9 years ago

They are both two stage thermostats based on demand. So which one is the best choice?

• hvtech42
    9 years ago

They are both good thermostats. I would say the XL624 is a bit nicer than the FocusPro with its touchscreen, but you're not comparing apples to apples. The Honeywell VisionPro Wifi (TH8320WF) would be a more direct comparison to the XL624. Or you could step up to the TH9320WF or Prestige. All are good units and 2 stage compatible.