Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cvthreeiii

Ductwork

cvthreeIII
9 years ago

I am going to replace all the ductwork in my house. It is leaky, poorly designed, has insulation inside rather than on the outside, and some of the returns are chased between floor joists. I want to get it right and have considered round vs rectangular or square duct for at least the main trunk lines. I am not impressed with the round flex that was used off the trunk lines because one of them split and was leaking lots of heating/cooling under my house until I checked and found it. My return from an addition is huge round flex, and it is more egg shaped in places. Is flex used on most jobs these days? It just seems cheap to me. Is there a good quality to ask for? I think I am getting a lot of air flow loss due to this. Would someone care to give me a practical primer on what works best and doesn't break the bank. I am also wondering about a leakage test. Is 6% leakage the new standard and who should do it? The company that puts it in or someone else? Any other information or suggestions would be appreciated.

Comments (4)