Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
awgrimm

AC Intake Clearance?

awgrimm
12 years ago

Hi-

I have a question about the amount of clearance need for an AC intake vent. We live in an old home that has been (retro-)fitted with a dual-zone AC system. It's a SpacePak (or similar) with one air-handler in the crawl-space under the family room and the other in the attic. The problem lies with the intake for the lower-level system.

As I said, the air-handler is located under the family room. The intake vent is located in the floor, and it's location makes furniture placement very difficult. Would it be possible to place a sofa OVER that vent if it had longer legs? Obviously, I know that there needs to be sufficient circulation for the unit to operate properly, but I do not know if 3 or 4 inches of clearance would allow the proper circulation.

Thanks for the help,

-A

Comments (5)

• ionized_gw
    12 years ago

How big is the intake?

• awgrimm
    Original Author
    12 years ago

14 inches by 20 inches.

• harlemhvacguy
    12 years ago

space paks are in a world all there own when it comes to static pressure. in theory if you allow some clearance you will be ok but i worry if the filter is in that grill are you going to remember to change the filter?

• awgrimm
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I change it now, but that is a good point. Out of sight, out of mind.

Thanks for the reply.

• brickeyee
    12 years ago

Anything placed in front of the grill that is closer than the grills larger dimension is going to affect air flow.

A clearance of 2-3 times the large dimension is really needed.

Sponsored
Moda Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars20 Reviews
Loudoun County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living