Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tubeman_gw

Trane XR15 vs XL20i Price

tubeman
12 years ago

What should the difference be in a 4 ton compressor between the XR15 and the XL20i? All the other equipment will be identical with the exception of the thermostat. I am being quoted $2,200 more and I think it should be less than $1,000. At $2,200 it will take over ten years to pay back. At $1,000 only 5 years.

Comments (10)

• tigerdunes
    12 years ago

very typical pricing from Trane and Trane dealers.

You might check pricing from an AmStd dealer, Trane's sister company. While not identical, their condensers are very similar.

These are HP or AC condensers? Same model air handlers or furnace?

IMO

• tubeman
    Original Author
    12 years ago

These are heat pumps and the air handlers are the same. Thanks!

• neohioheatpump
    12 years ago

A would think half of the updgrade price is profit.

• baldloonie
    12 years ago

Why do you think it should be less than $1000? Are you in HVAC?

2 compressors? lots more electronics like the charge assist and communicating board? Larger coil? Special top? Longer warranty?

• tubeman
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I think it should be less than $1000 because there is only $775 difference in the price of the compressor and I am allowing additional for increased installation cost. My buddy works for an AC company in another town and priced it out.

• tigerdunes
    12 years ago

I assume you are speaking of dealer cost difference for the XR15 and XL20i HP condenser, not compressor. Correct?

HVAC pricing to customer varies Between dealers as well as distributor pricing to dealers.

That's a fact.

Did you ever get quotes on AmStd Heritage 15 and Heritage 20 that I suggested in earlier post?

IMO

• weedmeister
    12 years ago

I may be wrong, but isn't the XR15 a single-stage unit and the XR20 a 2-stage unit? And shouldn't the XR20 be about %20 more efficient on electrical usage?

And would the coils still be the same?

• tubeman
    Original Author
    12 years ago

XR 20i is a two compressor system not two stage. The coils are the same for both.

• harlemhvacguy
    12 years ago

the price difference is $2030 between the xr15 4 ton outside condenser and the xl20i outside condenser. I have my price list right in front of me. don't know where your buddy got his info. your dealer is not trying to pull a fast one

• tubeman
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the info. That's what happens when you rely on buddy's for information!