Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ibjammin_gw

Need Help - Starting To Look For New HVAC

ibjammin
14 years ago

My old central air unit just quit working and I am starting to look around for a new one. For the last two weeks I have been on this forum gathering information so that when I start talking to dealers, I might have an idea of what system I want them to quote. From what I have gathered and going by the reputation of dealers in my area I have pretty much narrowed it down to Trane, Carrier or Bryant. I have a few questions that I need answered before I start getting quotes.

First, on the Trane, many here have suggested the XL15i as being a good unit. But what is the main difference between the XL15i and the XR15. I want something efficient but also something not too expensive cost wise.

Second, on the Carrier and Bryant, many here seem to prefer the Carrier Performance 15 "H" or "A" or Bryant Preferred 15 "H" or "A" for cost effectiveness. My question is, I live in south Mississippi where we have a few months of cold winter months and about 7 months of horrible heat and humidity out of the year. Should I consider getting the "H" model or the "A" model.

I had a 4 ton RUUD that lasted 16 years before it threw in the towel. Should I consider RUUD again or has their reputation dropped since I purchased mine? I do not see it mentioned much in discussions. Also, what are some other things I might need to consider in talking with dealers?

Like I mentioned, it has been 16 years since I last went down this road and any help would be gladly appreciated!

Comments (11)

• tigerdunes
    14 years ago

ibjammin

I assume you are talking about a heat pump in a non coastal Mississippi location.

you are replacing a four ton mdl?

Pls confirm.

IMO

• ibjammin
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Yes I do not live on the coastal part of Mississippi. About 100 miles north of New Orleans, La. The unit that just quit working is a 4 ton unit. But I don't remember the dealer that installed it doing a load calculation. I believe for the square footage I have which is around 1900, I may could use a 3.5 ton.

• tigerdunes
    14 years ago

what size is existing HP? how did it perform especially in AC cooling?

• ibjammin
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I guess you are referring to HP as the Heat Pump. Excuse me that I do not know much when it comes to HVAC, but where would I find the size of the HP? It did a good job of cooling my house, but there are some areas where I can improve on insulating to get better cooling efficiency.

• tigerdunes
    14 years ago

there should be a metal data plate on the outside condenser with both mdl and ser number. normally, it is found on the back or side panels.

post back.

• ibjammin
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I will get the numbers when I go home today and let you know. Thanks.

• classicdave
    14 years ago

You want to look at systems that meet the tax credit
    Find a good contractor that you can trust first, brand is actually secondary. But for any brand ask about the db rating you don't want a rattler!! I hate noise!

If you want a good affordable Bryant System look at the 225ANA with FV4 with thermidistat for humidity control.
    Carrier (twin brother) 25HCB5 with the FV4 and thermidistat upgrading to the electronic data driven systems Bryant 265 or Carrier 25HPA5 with the FE4 air handler are good there is rebates on those and they are very nice.

For Trane
    The XR15 is a new model Trane released this summer for the Tax Credit. Modest priced trane system.
    XL15i is a deluxe version, A little more quiet than the XR has the trane top cover we all recognize as the look of a trane. Better electronic control with the XLi versions.

Rudd/Rheem have excellent tax credited systems too. Rheem's Prestige or classic series are right in there at the top.

Find the contractor then find the system they sell, Good System with garbage contractor means not good.
    Good contractor with Tax Credit system means peace of mind.

• ibjammin
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks classicdave for the information. Tigerdunes, here are those numbers you had asked about on my old heatpump. The model # is UPKA-048JAZ. The serial # is 4966 M0094 5419.
    Hope that is what you were looking for.

• tigerdunes
    14 years ago

ibjammin

that condenser is a four ton, perhaps 15 yrs old.

here are several 4 ton models/systems I would recommend.

Carrier Performance 15 "A" mdl
    3405864 Active Systems PERFORMANCE 15 PURON HP CARRIER AIR CONDITIONING 25HPA548A30 FV4CNB006 48000 13.00 15.50 47000 8.70 29400

Carrier Performance 15 "H" mdl(better heating eff)
    3405868 Active Systems PERFORMANCE 15 PURON HP CARRIER AIR CONDITIONING 25HPA548H30 FV4CNB006 48000 13.00 15.50 48000 9.00 30000

2 configurations with Trane 4 ton XR15
    3523496 Active Systems XR15 WEATHERTRON TRANE 4TWR5048E1 4TEE3C10A1 48000 12.50 15.00 45000 9.00 29800 1
    3514632 Active Systems XR15 WEATHERTRON TRANE 4TWR5048E1 4TEE3F65B1 48000 12.50 15.00 46000 8.50 30200

and Carrier's new 2 stg Performance 16
    3495978 Active Systems PERFORMANCE 16 PURON HP CARRIER AIR CONDITIONING 25HPA648A30 FV4CNB006 48000 12.90 16.50 48000 9.65 29800

all qualify for the tax credit. all are paired with VS air handlers. of course, The Performance 16 two stg will be more expensive. if heating is just as important as cooling, then the Performance 15 "H" mdl, the Performance 16, or the first listed Trane XR15.

I did want to list a Rheem as well.

3245605 Active Systems RHEEM RPQL SERIES RHEEM MANUFACTURING COMPANY RPQL-048JEZ RHKL-HM4824+RCSL-H*4824A* 46500 13.00 15.00 45500 9.00 29200

This should give you a good starting point. If there is any doubt of the size, your quoting dealers should be asked to perform a load calculation. four tons sounds large for a 1900 sq ft home unless you have poor envelope/insulation or perhaps high ceilings. if you have any hot/cold spots within your home, now is the time to address with your dealers.

IMO
    Good Luck!

• ibjammin
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for the info. This will give me a good starting point of which brands and models to look for. I have about three dealers around here who have been in business a long time and I believe do quality work that I will get quotes from.

• dadsair
    14 years ago

Some of you from the NE part of the country keep saying size sounds too big. Keep in mind in the south its not the heat it is the humidity. That adds capacity.