Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gwfl

Trane vs American Standard AC Systems

gwfl
16 years ago

I've got bids from both a Trane and American Standard contractor to replace my AC system. I'm looking at the Trane XL19i with matching air handler (variable speed)and the Clean Effects fiter system. The American Standard is basicly the same system with Allegiance 18, 2TEE air handler and AccuClean filter. Are there any real differences in these two systems that should be of concern...they really seem the same I'm in SWFL with 1500 sq/ft and replacing a 3 ton unit.

Comments (8)

• tigerdunes
    16 years ago

gwfl

While there may be some minor eff differences between the Trane and AmStd AC or HP condensers, they are basically the same. The major physical difference is the funky tops of the Trane XLi condensers. Check with your dealer on the warranty and any rebates offered. BTW, Trane and AmStd stats suk. Get the Honeywell VisionPro IAQ stat. It helps to overcome Trane/AS's shortcomings in this area.

IMO

• energy_rater_la
    16 years ago

Which ever the choice, do buy the variable speed as your 3 ton system is a lot of capacity for a 1500 sq ft home.
    You may want to purchase a dehumidifier ...the stand alone dehumidifiers @ HD & Lowes are energy star and less than $200,,if your RH is still high. Hopefully hvac system will handle humidity issues that we have in our climates.

best of luck to you.

• gwfl
    Original Author
    16 years ago

My house may be closer to 1600 sq/ft, depending on whos floor plans you read. I have not had problems with too much humidity, averaging around 42%. The model of the XL191 is 2TTZ9036 and from what I can find has an EER of 12.6. I can't find the EER on the air handler (2TEE3F40A) but it may be about 18.5.

I just don't want to overbuy for my needs. I'm thinking I may drop down to the XL16i and save alitle money.

• garyg
    16 years ago

"I can't find the EER on the air handler (2TEE3F40A) but it may be about 18.5."

- The combination of the condenser and air handler is rated as a system, not the individual components.

A 2TTZ9036 combined with a 2TEE3F40 is an XL19i (dual compressor) rated at 37,800 btu-hour of cooling, 19 SEER, and 12.5 EER. The BTU output is good (slightly more than 3 tons) but the EER is weak for such a high end system. EER (rated at 95 degrees outside air temp), and not SEER (rated at 82 degrees outside air temp), determines true operating costs.

Post the model numbers of the XL16i (one dual-stage compressor). You should also looke at the XL14i with one single stage compressor. Most homes have a condenser with one single stage compressor. The btu rating and EER is a function of which air handler is used with the condenser.

Best to you.

• tigerdunes
    16 years ago

gwfl

All three ton AC condensers-XL14i,XL15i,XL16i,XL19i- paired with the matching var speed air handler qualify for the Fed Energy Eff Tax Credit. I would not use any of the Trane Stats. Go with the HW VisionPro IAQ. AmStd's comparable Allegiance AC models should also qualify. I would also check with your electric utility and see if any incentives are available.

IMO

• garyg
    16 years ago

"All three ton AC condensers-XL14i,XL15i,XL16i,XL19i- paired with the matching var speed air handler qualify for the Fed Energy Eff Tax Credit."

- This statement is not correct. There are several ARI "matched" 3-ton Trane v-s air handlers that do not meet the 12.5 EER and 15 SEER requirements for a/c split systems for the Federal Tax Rebate.

• gwfl
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Have meetings with the Trane and Carrier people today. Plan to chose one or the other , I hope, by end of day. Since I have to have the Clean Effects or comp. air system it leaves me with choosing a high end system, just a question of SEER rating vs rebates vs $$. I think a 16 or 15 system would do me fine if I can save a lot of money.

Sponsored
Fourteen Thirty Renovation, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Professional Remodelers in Franklin County Specializing Kitchen & Bath