Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dsl68

Carrier Infinity Variable Speed Heat Pump: 2 Ton vs 3 Ton

dsl68
9 years ago

We've done the research and have settled on this Carrier Infinity Heat Pump for our 2nd floor and attic br needs. We have exterior constraints that led us to this particular model.

http://www.carrier.com/homecomfort/en/us/products/heating-and-cooling/heat-pumps/split-system-heat-pumps/product---split-system-heat-pumps---25vna8/

We had someone come out and do the load calc and ideally we'll need 2.25 tons. For this carrier heat pump, 2 tons or 3 tons are the only options for us.

Our vendor is pushing us to get the 3 ton option whereas I initially pushed back and wanted the 2 ton option. He said that this particular model has a variable stage compressor which in theory would mitigate any concerns over having to much system in place - the system would merely run at less than 100 percent. He also mentioned that having the larger option gives us flexibility if we were to ever remodel and add another room on the 2nd floor.

I thought I'd throw this out to the chat board for any thoughts. Price differential is $600-700 between the 2 ton and 3 ton products.

Thoughts? Thanks in advance.

Comments (5)

• hvtech42
    9 years ago

What is your climate, and what are your BTU requirements for both heating and cooling? You should have separate numbers from the load calc.

Traditionally, heat pumps are sized so that they are the right size for cooling, and undersized for heating. The aux heat picks up the slack. The nice thing about these inverter units is that you can oversize them a bit for cooling, so that they can meet more of your heating requirements. I would also lean towards the 3 ton, especially if you could use that extra heating capacity.

Remember that this is not a fully variable speed unit, it is 5 speed. DO NOT let the contractor use any thermostat other than the Infinity control. If he does you will only get 2 stages which would be a complete waste of money.

• hvtech42
    9 years ago

Also I forgot to mention, I'm pretty sure that the only differences between the 2, 3, and 4 ton versions of this unit are in the software.

• tigerdunes
    9 years ago

What size are you replacing?

What is your location?

I certainly don't understand that price differential.

Not understanding your limitations on system selection.

I would get a price on the following 2 1/2 ton Infinity 15 system and make the comparison including cost difference.

6938405 Active Systems CARRIER AIR CONDITIONING INFINITY SERIES PURON HP CARRIER AIR CONDITIONING 25HNH530A**31 FE4AN(B,F)005L+UI 875 28200 12.00 15.50 27800 9.50 17000 1 HRCU-A-CB 226 627

IMO

• mike_home
    9 years ago

What is your location? How big is the second floor? What size are you replacing?

Looking at the product data it appears the 2 and 3 ton condenser is the same physical unit. The 4 ton unit is larger.

If your cooling load is really 2.25 tons then you should get the 3 ton size. I faced the exactly same situation in my house when I purchased the Carrier Infinity 2-stage AC condensers. I was worried going to a 3 ton size would be too big and have poor humidity control. So far the unit has worked well.

Which air handler has been quoted. There is a difference in performance between the FE4AN and the FV4CN.

• hvtech42
    9 years ago

^You're right, but I knew that the highest size was different, and I forgot that it only went up to 4 tons, not 5.

Only the the Infinity FE air handler should be used with this unit, not the FV.