Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Heater stopped working after themostat install

Posted by Rob_in_LA (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 16, 12 at 16:11

I have a forced air heater that is connected to the boiler in my condominium building. I replaced the very old 1970's line voltage thermostat with a new programmable line voltage thermostat (Aube by Honeywell TH106/U). There were only 2 wires to connect. Once I connected it and turned the heat up to activate it, I heard a popping noise from the motor area. Now if I try to turn it on, I hear the fan cycle up for about a second, then cycle down. The thermostat displays "LP", which in the users guide says:

The thermal circuit breaker in the heater is opened. This can happen if the heater is obstructed by furniture or curtain and has overheated, or if the thermal circuit breaker is defective.

I'm wondering if I somehow blew a fuse in the motor area. The only thing that looks like I fuse is the box in the attached picture. Any ideas of what this might be and how to fix it?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Heater stopped working after themostat install

The object in the picture is a capacitor. It neither a fuse box or circuit breaker.

Usually a circuit breaker will have a reset button. See if there is a button which can be pushed.

o

I don't see a push button anywhere. The heater is from the 1970's as well, so it may predate circuit breakers. (I tried resetting all the circuit breakers in the home panel.)

o

I'm still stuck with this problem. I reinstalled the original thermostat (see picture), but really want a programmable. There are 2 wires going into the thermostat, and I only measure 0.04 volts across them. This is controlling a blower that blows air over a heat exchanger (hot pipes from the condos boilers). I'm not sure what programmable thermostat will work. Does anyone have any advice?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here