Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I'm confused now! Please help me to decide before my heat dies!!!

Posted by april_love (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 15, 11 at 16:07

Hello all,

I'm back, again, and I have to ask for more help. I had a fourth, and final, contractor come in provide a quote for a new HVAC system.

It looks like I'll go with a Carrier system but here are my big questions:

1. What's the difference between a Carrier Armour Coil and a Tin Plated Copper Coil? Is one better than the other?

2. How do I know if I'll need a 3 ton or 4 ton air conditioner?

My home is located in Michigan in the metropolitan Detroit area. I have a 2,400 sq. ft., 2 story, Colonial. My current furnace is an American Standard about 60% efficient, and about 120,000btu. (The serviceman told me the tag was gone and he estimated the system at 120,000btu).

Both contractors have quoted a combination of Comfort, Performance and Infinity systems.

Contractor 1:
Option 1:
Carrier Performance 58UVB, 100,000btu, 95% efficiency, variable speed, 2 stage heat + Carrier Comfort Series 24ACB3, 13 SEER, 4 ton. Total cost $7390

Option 2:
Carrier Performance 58UVB, 100,000btu, 95% efficiency, variable speed, 2 stage heat + Carrier Performance Series 24APA7, 17 SEER, 4 ton. Total cost $8490

Option 3:
Carrier Infinity 58MVC + Infinity Control, 100,000btu, 95% efficiency, variable speed, 3 stage heat + Carrier Infinity Series 24ANA1, 21 SEER, 4 ton. Total cost $9689. This system is eligible for a $1000 mail-in rebate from Carrier.

Both the second and third options would be eligible for a $500 tax credit and a $450 rebate from my utility company. The first option would not be be eligible for the utility rebate.

Contractor 2:
Option 1:
Carrier Performance 58UVB 100-20, 100,000btu, 95% efficiency, variable speed, 2 stage heat + Carrier Comfort Series 24ABO636, 16 SEER, 3 ton. Total cost $7520

Option 2:
Carrier Infinity 58MVC 100-20 + Infinity Control, 100,000btu, 95% efficiency, variable speed, 3 stage heat + Carrier Infinity Series 24ANB736, 16 SEER, 3 ton. Total cost $9381. This system is eligible for a $1000 instant rebate from Carrier. Out the door cost would be $8391.

This contractor, just as you guys did, told me that the Infinity air conditioner was overkill for this area. However, he stated that if I wanted the Infinity furnace and the $1000 instant rebate it might be worth my while. Both of the systems he quoted would be eligible for a $500 tax credit and a $450 rebate from my utility company.

How do I decide which system is best for me? Also, I've never used either of these contractors before. How do I ensure they have good practices? Both are NATE certified.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I'm confused now! Please help me to decide before my heat die

April,

You keep starting new threads so it is difficult to review what advice you have received.

Contractor #1 Option 2 is the nicest combination in my opinion. It is a Infinity 2 stage furnace (58UVB)and 2 stage condenser (24APA7). You could consider upgrading the furnace to the 58MVC for about $400 in order to get the middle stage. I still think the 58UVB qualifies for a Carrier rebate. Please check this.

I have not heard of a Carrier armour coil. I know the tin plated coil is an improvement of Carrier's old leaky coils. This is the coil I have.

The contractor needs to size the equipment by doing a heat loss and gain calculation. This is known in the industry as a Manual J calculation. Have each contractor explain how he calculated the size. I assume the summers in Michigan are not too hot, so the 3 ton unit may be the correct size.

o

You definitely don't need 4 tons.

V

o

April

What size is existing outside AC condenser?

If you don't know find out from the data plate on the condenser or ask one of the quoting dealers.

As far as the armor and tin plated coils, I believe they are one and the same. I have attached a link for you to read.

I doubt if you need a 100 KBTU furnace at 95% efficiency. An 80 KBTU should be just fine. I see nothing wrong with the two stg Performance 17 AC condenser. And I prefer the 58MVC 3 stg furnace especially if you plan on being on this home for the future.

As far as dealer's, check BBB, Angies list, and ask neighbors or people at work about HVAC dealers.

IMO

Here is a link that might be useful: Carrier Evap Coils

o

Thanks everyone,

@ Mike_home. I apologize for so many threads. I thought it would be easier this way.

@ tigerdunes. My current AC is 4 ton. Thanks for the coil information. I'm about to read it now.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here