Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mboston_gw

Need advice.

mboston_gw
13 years ago

We bought a new heat pump/air handler by Goodman on 11--15-07. the model numbers are AEPF426016 and SS2160481. It is a 16 seer R410 ton heat pump split system with new copper connected to existing ductwork and high voltage.

We have had nothing but trouble with this unit since installation. First they had to install a Hard Start Kit due to the loud thud it would make when starting. We were told it was not uncommon and had to due with the power going from the electrical lines into our house. However, we had no problems with our smaller unit before.

Then within 6 months the Contactor Pole had to be replaced.

Within a month the Reversing Valve was replaced.

11months later - inline filter leak

A monthlater routine service showed no problems

6 weeks later a leak in the Reversing Valve

Three weeks later another leak in Reversing Valve and it was again replaced.

Three weeks later strange smell coming from vents - like heat had just been turned on for the first time but we were still using air conditioning.

Called Amana/Goodman - they had no info on unit I had to provide then with dates of service and she wanted me to send her invoices. (Luckily we bought 10 year extended service contract. Turned out the wire had come unplugged on top of the reversing valve sending it into a heat mode.

Periodically we have to clean out the line from the air handler as we get water running on the floor of our gargage. Husband does this but its usually a sign we are going to have a problem shortly. Has something to do with the float, unit shuts off when this happens until it cools down? Make sense??

About a month ago, the temp went up in the house to 80. We keep it at 76 as we live in Florida and have high humidity. Called the guy out and he said we had a leak but since it was dark, he just filled it with freon and said he would come back but it must be a slow leak. Coils were frozen over this time.

Well he forgot, we forgot and then on Thursday, the temp went up again. He came out on Friday and again its the Reversing Valve. This will be the 4th one replaced in less than 3 years. We have been told that when the unit continues to operate with low charge it can cause the valve to overheat.

The original installer was so slow to respond to our service calls and twice his sodering didn't hold so we switched to another company. This guy has told us he won't work on the unit again that even if Goodman pays him, he thinks it a lemon and we should get it replaced by Goodman. He says we should not have to have the reversing valve replaced in such a new unit.

Goodman has not been very cooperative and seems to have no knowledge of our problems, even though I have given them the info at least twice.

My concern is that the compressor is getting needless wear on it from the malfunctioning reversing valves. We had had it serviced each year so its not from neglect.

How do I go about getting someone to listen to me at...

Comments (2)