Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
denise_worden

Furnace size

D W
9 years ago

I would like opinions as to the sizing of the furnace in a proposal. No J studies were performed in any of the four quotes we received. Instead, the house size, insulation and our perception of the performance of the existing furnace was used.

We have about 2900 sq ft house, built in 1987. The attic insulation was blown in r49, and the exterior walls are 2x6 with r19 fiberglass and 1" foam sheathing. The original furnace, which still works, is a Carrier with 150,000 BTU input and 114,000 heating capacity BTU per the original paperwork. The Preston 3d party guide indicates the furnace is only 62% to 67% efficient.

We are considering only one of the four proposals. It is for a Trane XV95 80,000 BTU 2 stage with variable fan. The thermostat will be a Honeywell IAQ, which also controls the Trane powered humidifier.

Does this appear to be large enough for our house? Please share your opinions and reasons for same. Thank you very much.

Comments (9)

• tigerdunes
    9 years ago

Certainly location would help before providing an opinion.

I can provide a link to a residential load calc website that you could perform yourself if interested. Only a nominal fee involved.

IMO

• D W
    Original Author
    9 years ago

So sorry to forget that important item. Willowbrook IL, USDA zone 5b.

• tigerdunes
    9 years ago

Yes, just from info provided, I would say an 80 K XV95 would be just fine.

However, to confirm I recommend you get a load calc from selling dealer in writing or at least run a load calc yourself. I can provide a link, a very cheap nominal fee for something this important.

What are you doing about AC? Filter box cabinet?

Keep in mind the XV95 80 K size comes in both 3 and 4 ton rated blower for AC.

I recommend HW Prestige 2.0 stat and have set up for DOD.

IMO

• D W
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you Tigerdunes.

We are keeping our 2002 Trane 3.5 ton condensing unit along with the Trane 4 ton a coil.

The proposal includes Air Bear Media air cleaner filter. After the furnace model number and size, there is a 4V in parenthesis. Checked the notes I took during the presentation, and I've written 4 ton drive with 80,000 BTU.

The proposal says Honeywell IAQ programmable control, however the brochure included is for the Honeywell VisionPro 8000. Something we need to verify. What are the advantages of the Prestige 2.0, and what is DOD?

Thank you in advance.

• tigerdunes
    9 years ago

You want a true two stage thermostat that handles furnace staging based on demand not a timer on control board or a software algorithm that will always go to high stage whether needed or not.

Definitely not HW Vision Pro 8000 series.

Prestige 2.0 is the latest and greatest premium stat from HW.

DOD is dehumidify on demand feature for AC cooling.

I would want Trane's Perfect Fit media filter cabinet over the Air Bear.

XV95 mdl number TUH2B080A9V4VB 40 17.5 28 49,500/76,000 95 Yes

IMO

• hvtech42
    9 years ago

VisionPro 8000 has always had a 2 stage version available, and the new generation can do DOD. I see no reason to avoid it.

• tigerdunes
    9 years ago

What Vision Pro model number then?

TD

• D W
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here's an incomplete update. My husband neglected to get the actual name and model number. It will be a two state thermostat, with a wired connection to an outdoor thermometer that will lower the humidity if the temperature drops.

• hvtech42
    9 years ago

If you're sure it's the "IAQ" version that's all that matters. Has everything you need.