Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
n00bhomeowner

hole in evaporator coil

n00bhomeowner
13 years ago

i had a technician come out during summer because my a/c wasn't cooling. he said i was low on coolant/freon and my capacitor was bad. he put in a new capacitor, put in coolant and everything was good again. i recently had my a/c stop cooling again. i had a different teach come out (b/c my home warranty chooses them) and the service invoice says "checked unit found low on R-22 charged unit did leak check found leak in evap coil needs to be replaced". why is there all of a sudden a hole in my evaporator coil inside of my house? did the first guy not see it? what would cause a hole in the coil? My unit is 6 years old, my house is 5 years old so it seems weird for my unit to have so many problems.

the second guy didn't mention in the service invoice, but he told me that while he was here he put freon (i'm assuming he was talking about R-22) in the unit. he's coming back to replace the evap coil and he said it will be $60 to take the freon out and then put it back in. isn't it strange to put freon in a unit known to be leaking and then charge to take it back out?

i'd really appreciate any help!!!

Comments (2)