Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Geothermal vs convential savings calculator

Posted by Dave2425 (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 30, 12 at 14:57

Does anyone have a link to a good online comparison calculator?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Geothermal vs convential savings calculator

I assume you are talking about a Geo Heat pump system versus a conventional HP system.

If correct you need to know the rated COP for each system to make the calculation. A good dealer can provide this info.

When you get that, I can provide a link. Of course you need to know electric rate.

IMO

o

And do not forget the cost of money.

o

Brickeye is correct.

Not only operational cost but also upfront cost, maintenance, cost of money, etc...

o

And of course, it is most dependent on climate.

In Wisconsin, a geothermal might save 50% compared to conventional while in central NC, the quoted number is 20%.

Geothermal saves very little when the ambient temp is 35-95. So how long you spend under 35 (or over 95) really affects how much geo helps.

I think so many times geo is compared to oil or straight electric which is completely unfair. The other comparison is old "conventional" heat pump. Like when "a geothermal system is the equivalent of removing 2 cars from the road" - maybe compared to oil heat in a large, leaky, and northern house.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here