Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New construction - should SEER match?

Posted by cpstechguy (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 26, 11 at 14:12

Hello
We are in the process of building a home. We have paid for an upgrade for our heat pump from 13 SEER to 14 SEER. Our home is in the HVAC rough-in phase and after an inspection I looked up the model number on the air handler the HVAC guys installed on the internet and found that it is rated at 13 SEER...not 14. Do both the handler and the condenser outside have to be the same SEER rating in order to achieve real 14 SEER performance? I am waiting to hear back from my builder for an explanation. I am thinking either: 1)They made a mistake 2)It doesn't matter what the air handler is, or 3) They are trying to pull a fast one.

Any input would be appreciated.

P.S. The air handler is a NuTone 13 SEER B5BM...i don't know what the condenser is going to be.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New construction - should SEER match?

Cps

It is quite possible to reach 14 SEER from a 13 SEER HP condenser. Depends on the air handler selection..

However, these are the minimum specs you should be looking for.

both outside and inside units should be replaced to have a properly matched system.

15 SEER, 12.5+ EER, 9 HSPF
best matching VS air handler
full BTUs in both cooling and heating for your rated size
R-410a refrigerant(same as Puron)
scroll compressor preferred
electronic demand defrost preferred
thermostat with "dehumidify on demand" feature
staged backup heat strips
new and correctly sized refrigerant lineset
10 yr warranty on parts and compressor

you want a thorough inspection of your ductwork system. size, overall condition, supply and return lines, insulation qualities, leak test, etc.

any hot/cold spot issues in your home should be addressed.

My personal recommendation is Trane/AmStd, Rudd/Rheem, and Carrier/Bryant.

Depending on your location, I would not purchase a new system that did not have electronic demand defrost.

IMO

o

The SEER rating is determined by matching the air handler and the heat pump. A SEER rating of a stand alone air handler or a heat pump doesn't indicate how efficiently it will perform. Usually manufacturers will state a range of potential SEER values for a piece of equipment.

I am curious as to how much was the 13 to 14 SEER upgrade.

o

Cpstechguy

I would ask for the ARI match up. Your contractor can provide that. There are many combinations that have many different SEERS, you need to have a matched system. I would be more worried about the quality of the equipment.

o

SEER 14 is nothing to brag about. I believe that SEER 13 is the lowest efficiency that can be bought today.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here