Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tempstar reputation

Posted by newtoremodel (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 10, 11 at 14:08

I've been talking to various hvac contractors about completely new HVAC/duct systems for an extensively remodeled 3400 sq foot single story house in Southern CA. I've learned a lot just by reviewing the previous threads, but one of the contractors uses Tempstar exclusively and there isn't a lot of info here regarding that brand. Supposedly, they're made in the same factory as Carrier. How do their products and the company rate compared to some of the other more well known companies? I know some of their products don't have the full 10 year warranty. Are there some models that I should really stay away from? I'm planning to have at least 2 zones, using a damper system.

Thanks.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tempstar Link

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tempstar reputation

Get a Goodman! 10 years and with Labor 10 years. And for get the zone business. Install two smaller systems. Keep it simple, save money. Just find a NATE Contractor. Good Luck. If Carrier and Tempstar is made in the same factory...that doesnt mean anything....to day All of them are using parts, and compressor, interchanging things...keeping OEM just enough to keep you thinking there are GREAT Differences in the product. Yes they have good, bad, and ugly in all brands. Get a 10/10 peace of mind and forget the fluff.

o

Who installs the system is more important than the brand on the condenser housing.

o

I don't understand how two independent systems can be cheaper than a single system with zoning. If this was true then systems with zoning would not exist.

I agree getting a 10 year parts and labor warranty is a good idea, but Goodman is not the only manufacturer who offers it.

Do a search on Goodman in this forum. It seems the rate of complaints on Goodman products seems higher than other brands. For some reason Goodman products also seem to be associated with bad installations.

o

Tempstar is indeed owned by Carrier/United Technologies, same factories. They the "entry level" aka builder models which look almost identical to the Carrier/Bryant builder units. Then they have the "mainline" which is a deluxe model, a bit fancier than comparable Carrier/Bryant units with a better warranty.

But yes, key is the best possible contractor and good contractors seem to be getting harder & harder to come by.

o

Thanks for the feedback everyone. It sounds like I would be fine with a higher end Tempstar, but unfortunately I don't have a lot of confidence in that particular HVAC contractor. Especially when he said that he's been doing this for 20 years and he's always had more problems with the damper systems compared to 2 separate systems. He also blew off my request for a Manual J when others are offering the Manual J and the Manual D/S calculations.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here