Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Why is our furnace be blowing cold air when thrm is set to heat?

Posted by myclementine (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 26, 08 at 13:47

We woke this morning to cold air coming out of the vents. What could the problem be?
No body has touched anything out there. I am not sure how to check the condensation to see if it is full or plugged.
Any suggestions? Of course it is Sun. so I will have to wait until tomorrow to call the heating guys.
myclementine

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Why is our furnace be blowing cold air when thrm is set to he

Well, we turned the thermestat off for a while and changed the filters then turned the therm back on and voila, hot air! So what really happened? Why would it do that? I just don't understand.

o

It is very possible that your filters were dirty and/or restrictive, thus reducing air flow. When this happens, temperature inside the furnace may rise to an unsafe level.

Then, the burner turns off and the fan runs to cool everything down. This is a safety feature.

What type of filters are you using and where are they located? Some pleated filters (Filtrete, 3M)can be restrictive.

V

o

I bet that is what happened. DH hates changing those filters even though DS and I have bad allergies. We have 1 filter headed up the stairs to the bonus room and one in the great room/living area.
How often are filters to be changed? I am thinking it would be a good Christmas gift for DH :)

o

It quit working again Sunday evening so I called our local repair guys and they came Tuesday afternoon. The board was bad.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here