Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is this new HVAC system a good deal?

Posted by jagoe1 (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 1, 12 at 13:33

Hi, I'm remodeling an old Victorian row home -- two stories plus basement, about 2,700 sq. ft. -- in Washington, D.C., and need to install an HVAC system. The options are pretty confusing. (First-time homebuyer here!) This is what one company is proposing after doing a manual J load calculation -- does it seem like a good deal? Any input would be helpful, thanks!

FIRST AND SECOND FLOORS
3.5 ton Heating & Cooling System:

1. Furnish and install one (1) new SpacePak- 3-3.5 ton, 410a Puron, high velocity air handler. Model # ESP3642.
2. Furnish and install one (1) new SpacePak - 15 kw heater package. Model # AC-EPAK-15.
3. Furnish and install one (1) new Carrier - 3.5 ton, 410a Puron, 13 SEER, heat pump. Model # 25HBC342W003.
4. Furnish and install one (1) new Honeywell- digital, programmable thermostat. Model # PRO 6000.
5. Furnish and install new insulated SpacePak duct work system: take offs, 3" supply tubing, attenuators, supply outlets, return flex duct, return box, and return grille with filter.
6. Furnish and install new: insulated refrigerant line set, control wire, platform, condensate drain, condensate pump, vinyl discharge tubing, condenser pad, disconnect box, power whip, and surge protector.
7. Connect to existing: power wire.
8. Pull vacuum below 350 microns to ensure no leaks or moisture in system.
9. Perform operational start up.
� Cost to perform installation: $22,303.00.

BASEMENT
Dual- Zone Ductless Mini Split System:

1. Furnish and install one (1) Fujitsu - 18k btu, 410a Puron, DC Inverter, dual zone, outdoor heat pump. Model # AOU18RLXFZ. (To be located on rear of home)
2. Furnish and install two (2) Fujitsu - 7k btu, 410a Puron, indoor wall mount fan unit with remote thermostat. Model # ASU7RLF. (Basement Bedroom and Basement Living Room)
3. Furnish and install new: insulated refrigerant line sets, control wires, condensate drains, disconnect box, power whip, condenser pad, and pump ups.
4. Connect to existing: power wire.
5. Pull vacuum below 350 microns on each circuit to ensure no leaks in system.
6. Perform operational start up.
� Cost to perform installation: $5,416.00.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is this new HVAC system a good deal?

Wow! I didn't realize that you could spend that much money on central air/heat. I could buy my next hybrid SUV with $28k.

Just like installers have their 400 sqft/ton for equipment, I'm coming up with the homeowners rule of thumb which is $5k per 1000 sqft for a base 13 to 14 SEER system per floor.

So, my flawed estimate says you should be paying closer to $15k for 3 floors and about 2700 sqft.

o
RE: Is this new HVAC system a good deal?

so you have to install ductwork & upgrade electrical
to install hvac system (s)?

what type heating cooling is in place now?

have you gotten other bids?

I'd always get several bids. different contractors
will have different ideas of how to install ducts
& equipment.

shop around a bit more.
its a big investment that will effect your
comfort & affordability for a long time/

best of luck.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here