Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help on choice and cost of furnace

Posted by Laurie.123 (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 14, 11 at 13:27

My Chicago home is a split level, 1600 sq. ft. Furnace located in sub-basement. Sub-basement, main floor, and upper floor are warm but basement is always cold.

Replacing 25 yr old furnace about 60% efficient still working. A/C is newer and is 3 ton. Not being replaced.

First quote obtained Rheem RGRM,75,000 BTU, 95 %,variable speed
Aprilaire model 700 humidifier
digital thermostat
Total $4275 less tax credit & Rheem rebate
optional $150 media cleaner
Installer in business since 1952, part of Home Depot program

Lot more than I expected to spend. Need some advice. Please help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help on choice and cost of furnace

Laurie

Rheem makes nice furnaces. However, I would never recommend purchasing HVAC through any big box store program.

The characterization of your basement always being cold usually is an indication of poor ductwork design/sizing, insulation qualities. Basements at or partially below grade have low heat loss properties. Dealer should
make a full evaluation and suggestions for improvement. The basement is used as livable space?

That furnace will require a two stg thermostat for full functionality and best operation. You need to find out mdl thermostat quoted.

I do recommend a good 4-5" box filter media cabinet.

If you are dissatisfied with pricing, then shop around.

IMO

Here is a link that might be useful: Rheem Mdl RGRM Furnace

o

Thank you so much for your thoughts. I was referred to the dealer from Home Depot, but the dealer is an independently owned company in business since 1952. No complaints with BBB. Does that make any difference? Should I keep looking?

The basement is partially below ground and has a finished family room. As you say, it might be poor duct work or insulation. What can be done short of ripping walls apart?
What do I ask the Dealer to do?

The media cabinet requires expensive filters a couple times a year. What is the advantage of a media cabinet?

I read the Rheem Web page. I still feel lost. Any help is appreciated.
Laurie

o

The HVAC contractor is obligated to pay a certain percentage to Home Depot. You are either going to pay a higher price, or the contractor may cut corners on the installation to make up the difference. You should get three quotes to compare costs and recommendations of contractors.

Ask the dealer to measure your duct work to determine if the size is sufficient. You may not need to open up walls.

A 4 inch filter lasts 3-4 times longer than a 1 inch filter. So it is not costing more money for filter replacement. In addition the 4 inch filter has less air resistance than the 1 inch filter. This will improve air flow.

Who told you your 25 year old furnace is 60% efficent? Furnaces of that vintage usually have 75-78% efficiency ratings.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here