Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Placement of HVAC/flue chase?

Posted by CamG (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 19, 12 at 12:17

We're in the final design stages of a 2 story, 2,300 sf house. in Nebraska. My GC is thinking we'll use a single gas furnace in the basement. We forgot to put in any kind of HVAC and flue chase when we designed the place, so now we are trying to figure out where to put it.

Originally the GC thought we should put it here:
First floor (the gray box):

Second floor (the box labeled chase):

Is there any reason we couldn't turn it 90 degrees and move it a few feet directly to the right to be along the exterior wall of the house? We haven't planned exactly where the HVAC equipment will go in the basement, but I haven't able to get a hold of the GC to ask about this and it affects a lot of other planning we're doing. Thanks for any ideas.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Placement of HVAC/flue chase?

A high efficiency (90%+) does not need a chimney flue. The are vented through PVC piping out the side of the house. You may need a flue for the gas hot water heater. But I think you could also vent out the side of house if it has a power vent.

Why is the chase so larger? The diameter of the flue is 8-10 inches. You could make the chase smaller a build a utility closet in front of it.

o

We just did what mike home suggests. High efficiency furnace and water heater with a power vent, all vented to the outside with PVC pipe. We did it simultaneously with replacing the roof, allowing us to eliminate the chimney. The bonus is that now we are able to remove the chase from the corner of the bedroom, which will give us room for 2 bedside tables. Problem solved!

o

I think you're talking about the HVAC runs for blower outputs and returns? Not just the furnace exhaust?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here