Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
clean_air

Trane appears to be using Chinese compressors

Clean_Air
10 years ago

Saw this posted on another forum, and I wanted to let everyone know. Be careful and verify everything contractors say.

http://www.sanantonio.ac/1/post/2013/10/trane-uses-chinese-compressors.html

Buy American when you can.

Comments (12)

• tigerdunes
    10 years ago

I doubt that...Trane does have business connection with a Chinese made HVAC company. But Trane actually manufactures their compressors for both Trane and AmStd brands.

You might check that link. I could not get it to open.

IMO

• harlemhvacguy
    10 years ago

Trane uses alliance compressors . It is a joint venture between Trane, Lennox and Emerson (aka copeland compressors). Plant is in Louisiana. nowhere near china............ but close to the water so I guess it is just a matter of time. Here is a link. http://www.yellowpages.com/natchitoches-la/mip/alliance-compressors-1183986

• Clean_Air
    Original Author
    10 years ago

sorry about bad link, here is another
    http://www.sanantonio.ac/blog.html
    the post includes links to shipping record from the Chinese company that made them. I looked up some of the compressor model #s and they are not made by Copeland. I contacted an "inside" source and he confirmed that Trane is sourcing from China on some models. Lennox doesn't exclusively use Copeland either. The XC25's use an LG and some of the other models use an LG as well.

Here is a link that might be useful: Trane using Chinese Compressors?

• SaltiDawg
    10 years ago

There is much quality stuff coming out of China - in many cases, the manufacturing site is owned and supervised by USA folks.

On the other end of the spectrum is the shipping container full bought from nondescript Chinese sources.

Just because it is Chinese made does not in and of itself mean it is bad.

For the OP... do you know for a FACT anything about the quality of the compressors you allege were made in China?

Just asking.

• Clean_Air
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I do not know anything about the quality of the Chinese compressors.
    I trust a Copeland compressor. They have a track record of performance. I always recommend the Carrier Greenspeed over the XC/XP 25 because the Greenspeed uses the Copeland.
    I do know from experience the quality of Trane units has gone way down in the last ten or so years.
    I do know that I buy USA MADE when ever possible. I am not a proponent of unions or anything like that. I just like to support the American worker.
    Copeland compressors that are sold in the USA are made in the USA, There are limited circumstances where they do bring them in from their Mexico plant, but that is very limited.
    Buy American

• SaltiDawg
    10 years ago

"I do not know anything about the quality of the Chinese compressors."

Yup.

• Clean_Air
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Just to give a little background on my American made preference.
    I used to not know anything about Chinese capacitors. One day quite a few years ago, a Chinese capacitor in my condenser popped its top. The plastic housing shattered and one of the 24v terminals landed just perfectly on a 240v terminal. It sent 240 through the entire system. The air handler caught fire. I am lucky that I was home to put it out, otherwise I would be homeless. USA capacitors swell but don't pop like the cheap Chinese ones. I only use USA capacitors now.

I am not trying to say the sky is falling or all Chinese products are junk. I am just providing my point of view, which is that we still have some manufacturing here in the USA and I will support it. If others wish to support it then I have given them information on how they can.
    If you do not wish to support it, that is fine.

• SaltiDawg
    10 years ago

And again, "I do not know anything about the quality of the Chinese compressors."

But thanks for sharing your view on "foreign" made items.

Pretty much all adults here - all are capable of forming an opinion.

This post was edited by saltidawg on Fri, Oct 18, 13 at 18:51

• Remuen
    10 years ago

saltidawg: I've read these forums for a while but never felt the need to post until now.
    You seem like a Trane-washed bitter Trane dealer. It's okay, I was there once. Is it easier to just drink the Kool Aid? Don't want to admit to yourself that your selling Chinese crap to your customers? The compressor is still painted orange, that helps right?

You were the only one that said "foreign". The original poster used the word "Chinese".

When you use quotations (which apparently you love to do) it is supposed to be quoting what someone actually said. See the example below.

"But thanks for sharing your view on "foreign" made items."

or

"Pretty much all adults here - all are capable of forming an opinion."

Maybe everyone here is technically an adult, but apparently some of us don't act like it and would rather run around with their fingers in their ears and head up their assets instead of facing reality.

• harlemhvacguy
    10 years ago

This has been a fun thread to read.. gives me a feeling of what it must be like to sit around and watch soap operas.
    But on a serious note there are no facts in any of the links. I have seen nothing but alliance compressors in the trane units lately. Even checked some of the units on the floor made in the last few weeks, (some of which are on that list.) All say made in USA alliance compressor. So I don't know. Then again we have to trust the sticker I guess.

The sad part of all of this is the copeland compressor (which is a great compressor and also part of the alliance group) will probably be made in china soon. It business. If its cheaper or someone comes up with the money it will be sold out to whoever. Not the way I like it but true. So brand loyalty is really a suckers game for which we Americans fall victim to.You ever looked to see where all those components in a American car come from? Don't I don't want you having to walk to work.

A lot of components inside all brands are made by the same people. Manufacturers just put them together.

In the mean time I will be on the lookout for these chinese compressors. They will be coming to a air conditioner near you..................

• mike_home
    10 years ago

Actually the outsourcing of manufacturing has probably peaked and is slowly reversing back to the US. China's labor rates are rising and while those in the US have remained stagnant. The labor cost difference is gotten to the point where it is now more cost effective to manufacture in the US.

Below is one of several articles I found.

Here is a link that might be useful: Once Made in China: Jobs Trickle Back to U.S. Plants

• harlemhvacguy
    10 years ago

Hopeful info to know mike.