Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cms_az

HVAC Replacement - Large or Small Contractor

cms_az
9 years ago

I need to start thinking about replacing my 19 y/o furnace/ac (I have two). I bought the house 2 years ago and started out with a home warranty. With the home warranty, I had to use whatever company the home warranty sent out. When one of the furnaces quit on the coldest weekend of the year, they sent out some guy who was not the sharpest tool around. It eventually got fixed but after that experience (and another) I decided to not renew warranty. Since then I have had a guy who owns his own HVAC company who was recommended by a coworker to service. He is the owner and only employee.

My question for those of you have had replacements done or are a contractor is if it is better to go with a larger contractor or smaller? (I live in a large city) I have had various experience with both. With the bigger ones, you never know who is going to come to your house and they are always trying to sell something. With the smaller, if there is an emergency, it may take days or they may be out of business. Any suggestions?

Comment (1)