Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
HVAC ducting in insulated sealed crawl space?

Posted by HK45 (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 20, 12 at 9:40

Designing a new 4000 sf house, two story on sealed insulated conditioned crawl space. Clear overhead is 4 feet.

Wish to use two HVAC units placed in adjacent attached garage, adjacent wall dividing house from garage. Location gives easy duct-way access to underfloor of floor 2 and crawl space under floor 1.

Crawl space foundation walls are ICF, R-22. Floor is heavy sealed membrane covered with 3" slab.

Unit 1 for 2000 sf main floor, unit 2 for 2000 sf second floor.

Ceiling heights are ten feet throughout house, but on main floor there are a number of false beams and lowered ceilings in small rooms and hallway drops that are designed into house to beautify it architecturally, plus provide space for ducting. Lots of space.

Main and only question: Is it appropriate to route all HVAC ducting for floor 1 in the crawl space?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: HVAC ducting in insulated sealed crawl space?

yes.
as long as 10 mil plastic vapor barrier
is continuous on ground of crawlspac.
mastic seal all duct connections, plenum
connections, returns and supply boxes
into house.

where are you building
and how are you conditioning the crawlspace?

best of luck.

o

Location of site is northern Illinois. HVAC contractor will engineer system to supply sufficient make-up air to crawlspace with return also, to maintain crawlspace at same temp as living space above, all year round.

o

Would subslab insulation be appropriate? Trying to maintain this space at 70 degrees will actually lose a decent amount of heat to the ground thru an uninsulated slab.

o

I'm sure it would be a great idea if not contraindicated. Lots of builders here are using a modular polystyrene block/form that insulates and, I think, incorporates the moisture barrier.

o

Just a note-polystyrene has been listed as a suspected carcinogen by the American Cancer Society since 2010 due to styrene leaching and off gassing. It is also a neurotoxin. I have smelled polystyrene and it produces an awful off gas. I would never consider it in my home.

http://eco-panels.com/blog/63-eps-as-a-carcinogen.html

o

You need a plastic vapour barrier OVER a concrete floor? I would have assumed there was a moisture barrier under the concrete, and that would suffice.

Where I am, Interior British Columbia, basement floors are bare concrete, and if finished, have carpet and regular underlay, or some sort of hardwood or laminate flooring with some sort of underlayment... but nothing that would really comprise a true vapour barrier.

A lot of the time, basement floor formwork is polystyrene, so it's insulated and moisture-proofed at the same time.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here