Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sushraya

Lennox/Goodman furnace, pipes through Garage?

sushraya
9 years ago

Home in MA. ~2000 sq ft. 2 zones (one for the first floor, one for the second). Forced hot air furnace - existing furnace is Rheem 100K BTU (about 28 years old).

Need to replace the furnace. Have received conflicting information and am looking for advice.

(1) Installer uses Lennox - SLP98v. 98% efficient. Says flue pipes cannot go through the unheated garage. We currently have a power vent for both our furnace and water heater - we will have to reuse that same location. Because of this, the water heater will also have to be replaced - he suggests a tankless water heater (Bosch or Eternal). Also suggests replacing the dampers, the thermostats, zoning panel etc. Total cost is ~12K.

(2) Installer suggests Goodman 96% efficient furnace. He says the pipes can go out through the garage - might need to box the pipes in to prevent freezing. No need to change the water heater. He recommends a two stage furnace and suggests replacing the thermostats since they are close to 18 years old. We don't have a final quote from him yet.

Lennox vs Goodman? I've read a lot of stuff about Goodman, not all good - but it does appear that if properly installed, it can be a good unit?

Can the pipes go through the garage? Or is this an absolute no-no?

Comments (3)

• mike_home
    9 years ago

If the exhaust pipe goes through an unheated space it will have to be insulated. You can cover it with a armaflex insulation or box it in and insulate it.

There are many varying opinions on Goodman equipment. Do a search on "Goodman problems" on this forum and read what people have said.

There are also differences of opinions about Lennox. The cheap stuff made in Mexico should be avoided.

Tell the Lennox contractor he should read the installation manuals before recommending you replace your hot water heater. Is there anything wrong with the current dampers and zoning panel that require them to be replaced? If you are getting a 2-stage furnace then you should get a true 2-stage thermostat.

I suggest you bring in more contractors.

• hvtech42
    9 years ago

>I've read a lot of stuff about Goodman, not all good - but it does appear that if properly installed, it can be a good unit?

Yes. If any contractor bashes a brand, ask them for a specific technical explanation of why that brand's products are inferior to the rest. If they can't come up with a direct answer to that question, kick them out of your house. I have worked with both, and can't come up with such an explanation for either Goodman or Lennox, so I refrain from saying their products are worse than the competition. They all use the same basic design and for the most part, the same components.

Instead of avoiding a particular brand, I would advise that you avoid the low-end stuff of any brand. The Lennox SLP98V and Goodman's 96% 2 stage are certainly not low end.

Your Rheem 100K is probably oversized, make sure the contractor you select does a Manual J load calculation to figure out the correct size. If they just put in a new 100K furnace, especially a high efficiency one, it will be even more oversized.

You should definitely go with a 2 stage or modulating furnace in that climate. Normally in MA a 2 stage condenser would be overkill, but it might be worth it since you're zoning. If you get the SLP98V I would want the Harmony III zone panel to properly control the modulation and the variable speed fan for zoning.

• sushraya
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Sorry, forgot to mention that the Lennox being proposed is 90K BTU while the Goodman is 80K BTU.

If we do end up going with the Goodman 2 stage, what thermostats do you recommend?