Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dianemargaret_gw

programmable thermostats

dianemargaret
16 years ago

I am looking for a programmable thermostat that is really flexible as I have an erractic schedule. It is for our pellet stove.

I bought a progammable themostat for our furnace and put it upstairs. After reading all the information I could find on the outside of the packages I would up with a thermostat that could only be adjusted by certain preprogrammed blocks of time, not individual times. This just does not work for my schedule. The only thing I could do was set the clock wrong on the thermostat to match our early hours.

I would like to put a programmable thermostat on the pellet stove this year as well but do not want to run into the same problem. I want one that I can set at 8:45 and have change at 9:00 if I so desire and different times for different days. Anyone have any recomendations?

Comments (19)

• garyg
    16 years ago

Honeywell makes a Model 7500 series that is a true 7-day programmable that works with everything. $99 at Home Depot.

Best to you.

• heimert
    16 years ago

I've had a honeywell for years and it's served me well (although it's 5+2--weekend has a single setting and only two periods during day).

Most thermostats let you set the time in 10 or 15 min. increments, so you should have a lot of options. That is, unless a pellet stove takes a special type that limits your choices.

• dianemargaret
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks. The first one I bought wasn't nearly that expensive so I guess that is why the options were limited. Will I really have to spend that much for what I want?

• garyg
    16 years ago

The Honeywell 7500 Series has 4 programming periods during the 24-hour day. Each day is independent The program times are indeed in 15 minute increments. A 7-day programmable t-stat is best.

Take care.

• garyg
    16 years ago

"Will I really have to spend that much for what I want?"

- I suggest you visit Lowes and Home Depot and see what they offer. They have to work with your pellet stove which may present an issue. You definitely want a 7-day programmable for the most flexibility. Maybe other brands like Hunter or RiteTemp are cheaper, but Honeywell is the best.

• heimert
    16 years ago

At Home Depot they have a range. I suspect you could get a mid-range one to do what you want for $50-60. Almost certainly under $100.

• daft_punk
    16 years ago

Hi dianemargaret...

I bought a Hunter model 44360 for 50 bucks at the "Blue Place", and like it very much. you can find a description of it here...

http://www.hunter-thermostats.com/programmable-thermostats-all.htm

The thermostat allows true seven-day programming. It'll run four events per day. Use my thermostat settings as an example...

05:30 - Heat to 70°F
    07:00 - Heat to 45°F ("Off" for all intents and purposes)
    17:00 - Heat to 70°F
    22:00 - Heat to 45°F ("Off" for all intents and purposes)

Program times are set in 10-minute increments. The lowest "Heat" temperature is 45°F. I don't remember what the highest is. I don't know what the Cool temperature range is.

The thermostat has three modes, Heat, Cool, and Off. You can switch the fan on independently for air circulation if your system is wired that way.

The coolest feature is called "Home Today". Push that button, the 'stat override the current program and instead go to the highest temp in heat mode, or the lowest in cool. If you hit Home Today in the morning, it will stay active until bedtime (great when home on a workday). If you hit Home Today in the evening, it will remain active through the night till you leave for work in the morning (great for all-nighters).

I've had mine for two years on the same set of batteries. It still works fine.

Peace.

Marco

• dianemargaret
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Ahhh Marco, where were you this morning? I just got home from Home Depot with the Honeywell. The Hunter looks like exactly what I want and it was so helpful to be able to read the intruction manual before purchasing. Guess it is back to HD to return the Honeywell

Thanks

• garyg
    16 years ago

Make sure that the Hunter works with a pellet stove.

• dianemargaret
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Good point. I stopped at the pellet stove store this am to see if they carried any. They did not but said any 24-volt would do, which the Hunter lists as being compatible with

• mayguy
    16 years ago

Get the Honeywell 7day programble t-stat.

Hunter been issues, and I know a few service tech said they have removed the hunter cuz they are not good quiality.

• billnrboston
    16 years ago

I have the same issue. The Aprilaire 8570 looks like it might serve my purposes well. It has a vacation or "hold until" feature that I like.

• daft_punk
    16 years ago

Hiya dianemargaret...

I see from the other thread that you ordered the thermostat online. Did you wind up with the Hunter, or go with something else? Does the "blue box" carry that one anymore?

Let us know how you made out.

Peace.

Marco

• dianemargaret
    Original Author
    16 years ago

hey Marco,

Yes, I got the Hutner from the blue box you linked. Got it all set up and it has been working just as I wanted. The stove does come on more often than it did with the old cheap thermostat that came with it and at first I was concerned. But it doesn't burn for as long and the room stays more evenly heated and we don't seem to be using any more pellets than before and we are certainly using less at night than before when my son would forget to turn the heat down when he went to bed after us.

Thanks again

• andrelaplume2
    16 years ago

The $99 one at HD was offered with a $20 HD gift card when I saw it a week or so ago. I am not sure if that offer is still on. I almost bought it but I want something with more that 4 on/offs. I want to gradually bring up the temp in my home over a 4 hour period with having the AUX heat on my heat pump become engaged engaged.

• garyg
    16 years ago

"I almost bought it but I want something with more that 4 on/offs."

I'm not sure if more than 4 programming time periods are offerred by any manufacturer.

"I want to gradually bring up the temp in my home over a 4 hour period with having the AUX heat on my heat pump become engaged engaged"

- This depends on several things: setback temp, outside temp, house construction, heat pump capacity. At 20 degrees outside air, aux heat will be needed to help the heat pump recover from setback. At 40 degrees outside air, no aux should be needed.

• smartergadgets
    15 years ago

Here is a programmable thermostat controller that supports a (virtually) unlimited number of schedules from a Google Calendar : http://smartergadgets.blogspot.com/

Here is a link that might be useful: calendar controled thermostat

• jcthorne
    15 years ago

---I want to gradually bring up the temp in my home over a 4 hour period with having the AUX heat on my heat pump become engaged engaged

This is known as 'smart recovery' feature. Venstar and Honeywell both offer intellegent stats that can do this more or less automaticlly. They even have outside temp sensors to properly choose the recovery method. They are more than $100 though and usually include other high end features such as humidity control as well.

• PRO
    Schindler Technologies
    8 years ago

I'm a refrigeration technician for years and have used many brands of digital thermostats. The best one in my experience is the AKO Universal Digital Thermostat for refrigeration.