Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
justdoinmything

New fall quotes

justdoinmything
11 years ago

I took your advice and waited for fall to get more quotes for a new system. I still have one more coming but wanted your thoughts on the two I currently have. For now I'm sticking with an 80% furnace. Mid atlantic region 1300 sf single story 50 year old house (crawl space). All gas appliances.

1. $8200.

Carrier:

58cva070 infinity furnace

24abc630a003 condenser

cnpvp3017 coil

infinity control

new lineset,new condensate pump, etc.

2. $6700.

Trane:

tdd2b060a9v3va furnace

4ttr5030e1000a condenser

4txcb031bc3hca coil

tcont803 control

new lineset, condensate pump, etc.

The infinity is over my budget but has the better sound control and more even temperatures (or so I'm told). I'm just not sure if it is going to be worth the higher cost in my situation. How does the Trane compare.

Any feedback would be much appreciated. Thanks

Comments (4)

• mike_home
    11 years ago

The price you have been quoted for the Carrier system seems high. Is the contractor offering the Carrier rebate?

Carrier Infinity furnace is a 2-stage variable speed. I am not sure it is cost effective to match it to the single stage Comfort series condenser. The Trane furnace is 2-stage but not variable speed.

If you like the Carrier contractor, then ask for a quote for the Performance 58CTA furnace and the Edge thermostat. It should be closer to the price of the Trane system. This would be equivalent to the Trane furnace you were quoted.

• justdoinmything
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for your input Mike.

The Carrier price is after all rebates. Originally I was quoted the 24anb624 condenser and the price was over 9,300. Thus the change.

I usually keep the summer temp around 77-78. I did ask about being able to dehumify the air when it was really damp but not really hot outside. If 82 or so outside but not really humid I will not use the central air and just cool the bedroom at night with a window ac.

I do like it comfortably heated in the winter. I currently keep the temp at 68 in the winter but would love to have it at 70 or 72 when I'm home. I was under the impression that variable speed would keep the heat more even by running longer in low. I thought the Trane was a 2 stage variable speed unit (at least thats what I asked for).

Is there a 2 stage variable speed Trane heater you would recommend that is 80%.

I'll ask about the Carrier unit you mentioned.

This is all so confusing!

Thanks

• mike_home
    11 years ago

The Trane XV80 is a 2-stage variable speed furnace. I have no experience with this furnace, so I can't recommend it.

The Carrier quotes are high in my opinion. I assume this doesn't include a 10 year labor warranty from Carrier. Get a quote from another Carrier dealer.

• justdoinmything
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I actually have 2 Carrier quotes that came in within $100 of each other. Both dealers are reputable. One included a 5 yr. labor warranty and the other included a 10 yr. labor warranty. Right now carrier offers a 36 month interest free plan. I was told it didn't factor in the price but who knows (cash is the same price).

I asked about a 2-stage variable speed Performance model (80%)and was told they were not distributed/available in the tri state area.

My heater closet it right off the living room so I want something that will be quieter than what I currently have. That is why I've been looking into the variable speed units.