Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
henry4321

Help! AC Wires Eaten by Weed Eater! See Pics

henry4321
9 years ago

Finally able to post all 3 pics... so link below is not necessary

I was helping my daughter with some lawn work and my weed eater ripped out a wire with a brown covering with 2 small thermostat wires inside....one is red and one is white. After going online and also looking at another AC unit (different brand) I learned that normally these 2 wires are attached separately to each side of the "connector" bar.

That would have been an easy fix, BUT the Goodman unit has a icm lr30320 delay timer box that has 2 wires hooked up to those exact terminals where normally the 2 thermostat wires would be. Those 2 delay timer wires extend from that connector bar down to the delay timer where there are 2 terminal connectors. One wire is orange (or maybe yellow), and the other wire is greenish blue...

Because of the short length of the red and white thermostat wires, they can only reach the timer delay box 2 terminals.... so I am confident that they were ripped out from there.

My concern is that I am just not sure if BOTH thermostat wires (red and white) were ripped from the orange wire timer delay terminal plug, or if the red and white wires have to be kept separate so that maybe the red was ripped out from the Orange side terminal, and the white wire ripped from the greenish blue wire terminal. Oh...BTW.. the orange wire was ripped out as well from the terminal wire connection, so I suspect that it is possible that all 3 wires were together on that one single terminal (ie red, white, orange), and the greenish blue wire would be by itself on the second terminal plug.

Another HOT day today. Any advise you might have is VERY MUCH appreciated!

Here is a link that might be useful: CLICK WIRE PICS HERE

This post was edited by henry4321 on Wed, Oct 1, 14 at 17:53

Comments (11)

• klem1
    9 years ago

I don't click links and risk viruis so unable to view pics,post them. Meanwhile remove wires from both terminals on contactor then connect white to either terminal and red to other terminal. That is how it came from factory. Until delay has been properly wired,just refrain from switching t-stat rapidly off/on, up/down. Make one adjustment then leave tstat alone for at least 5 minutes.
    Alternatly,look closly at delay for scamatic printed on it.

• harlemhvacguy
    9 years ago

Wow not sure you should be doing that but it is low voltage. Put red wire on time delay relay terminal and the other one to the yellow(or orange as you call it) wire. most of the time depending on if unit was on or not you blow the fuse for transformer inside. Good luck

• henry4321
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Harlemvacguy but are you saying to FIRST put that yellow wire AND the red wire into the time delay terminal on the left side and then put the white wire on the right side with the greenish blue wire on the right side of the time delay?

The reason I asked is that you gave me the impression that not ALL of the wires would be going to the time delay box and that would surprise me since the terminal clip is way to big to just have one small thermostat wire in it by itself. Just want to be sure. Not sure if low voltage wires hooked wrong can still damage something else besides just blowing a fuse.

Here is what I still am thinking but still need advise before trying anything:

1. red, white, and orange yellowish wire on left time delay terminal and green bluish wire on right side terminal
    2. OR Just put orange yellowish on left terminal with the white wire, and red on other side with the greenish blue wire that is already in place. Any advise appreciated!

This post was edited by henry4321 on Wed, Oct 1, 14 at 18:17

• henry4321
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Klem1... I hope that you will be back to see pic posted. I am still not clear on this, but it seems that the yellow wire needs to go to the left side terminal of the time delay box (since it looks like it probably came out of that terminal) and I assume the white and red wires will also be hooked up to those 2 terminals but not sure if both will go to the left (with the yellow) or if one needs to go to yellow and one needs to go to greenish blue wire terminal.

Unit was not running and thermostat was in OFF positin when wire was ripped out...so hopefully no damage done. Do you think if i reverse the hookup of the thermostat wires onto the time delay box that it could damage anything.

This post was edited by henry4321 on Wed, Oct 1, 14 at 17:14

• henry4321
    Original Author
    9 years ago

klem1 Hopefully this 2nd pic will post here for you

• henry4321
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Third and final pic shows how the yellow and greenish blue wires originated at the connector bar before dropping down to the delay timer box shown in other pics

This post was edited by henry4321 on Wed, Oct 1, 14 at 16:55

• klem1
    9 years ago

Ok here you go. Tie orange to white. Red gos in the empty terminal on delay. Thats it. Set t-stat calling for cool. Indoor fan will likly come on emediatly but outdoor fan and compressor will be delayed in coming on for time set on delay.
    As to wherether damage was done when wires puuled out, very unlikly but if so it would only blow a glass fuse ( like those on older cars) located on indoor furnace/air handler. Worst case would be if no fuse was on furnace from factuary the 120 volt to 24 volt transformer might burn out(stinks like burnt tar).

• henry4321
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Klem1....wow!...never would have guessed that wiring setup in a million years! Who would have thunk that such a small gauge wire would end up in such a big connector all by itself? ha ... I assume you have hooked these up before and this is 100% good info. So unless someone else has another way of doing it, I will be hooking it up as you advised tomorrow afternoon. Thank you for sharing your knowledge with me and others here. We appreciate so very much what you are doing for us.

• harlemhvacguy
    9 years ago

henry,

klem1 is 100% correct on the wiring . Hook it up with no worries the way he said,not the way you have been wanting to.

P.S. Be more careful with the weedeater! lol

• henry4321
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Took 5 mins to unite yellow and white, then put red back on to the empty terminal by itself. It's fat city again and so cool... Thanks to you both!
    P.S. To be completely honest...... i thought the brown covered wire was a dead vine growing into the vent of the ac case... so i yanked it out.... just didn't want to sound like a complete idiot, so shifted blame to my stupid weedeater. :)

• energy_rater_la
    9 years ago

invest in roundup & sprayer.
    save the weedeater for areas other
    than around condensing unit.

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner