Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
markbr_gw

honeywell prestige�iaq 2.0�comfort system vs trane xl824 / xl950

markbr
9 years ago

Who knew buying a thermostat could be so difficult, so forget the Nests, and the rest of the round trend tstats, I want hands down the best tstat that I can buy.

It has to offer Internet connectivity to view current temperatures, receive alerts, it has to be able to manage my complete HVAC system, most importantly indoor humidity for the winter so that my windows don't get ice on them and so that I'm not stuck doing it manually, I want it to all be seamless.

From face value, the Trane looks prettier, I like that it gives you a weather report, but aside from that I have no clue how both models compare.

I can't stand thinking about this anymore, if there is a hands down winner, please tell me as I will buy it.

I'm assuming both models come with outdoor sensors, I know the Honeywell needs the Redlink for Internet access which is super annoying, I see Honeywell also offers an additional control for the tstat but why would I need that if I would just view and adjust from my cell?

Are their Apps similar? Are they both z-wave compatible, does that even matter.

I'm assuming I'm comparing the right models, I see Honeywell put out a wifi model which seems it would work out of the box without the Redlink but I'm guessing it would just be a simple tstat compared to the IAQ 2.0

Okay, thank you people.

Comments (2)

• hvtech42
    9 years ago

I like the looks and interface of the Trane a little bit better, but it is significantly more expensive than Prestige. Unlike the Prestige, it has Wifi built in, but it only communicates with Trane systems out of the box, so you have to buy an 3rd party interface module which makes it even more expensive. So I'd say in most cases, the Trane is only worth it if you are going to be using it with a Trane communicating system.

Neither thermostat can do Z-wave natively. For remote access, the Trane uses their Nexia app, which is free if you are using it for the thermostat only. You can control Z-wave devices remotely with the Nexia app also, but only if you pay a monthly fee.

What type of HVAC system do you have, how many stages, and how many wires do you have in the wall going to the thermostat? Both of the thermostats you reference are two piece designs, which are nice because they can control a ton of equipment with very few wires. But, you can save money if you have enough wires in your wall by getting a one piece.

• markbr
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you, here is my equipment list, no idea on the current wiring.

In my current setup I have two dumb tstats, one manages just temperature and nothing else and the other manages the Air exchanger, and actually a 3rd tstat that sits at the furnace that controls the Humidifer, it's a nightmare to manage, you can see why I need to upgrade.

I should also mention that I'm thinking of changing my air filter for a Trane Clean Effects, maybe in the future changing the Humidifer for a Honeywell Steam model, but I've heard the Clean Effects can be very difficult to clean but is the best cleaner, and someone else said that an upgrade to a steam model humidifier might not be worth it if my current model is able to humidity, I really don't know, I'm all about the comfort at this point.

- Amana Heat Pump
    - Lennox EC10Q4 Furnace
    - Lifebreath HRV Model 200max
    - Lennox Healthy Cliimate Humidifer Model Wb2-17*
    - 20x24x4 Air Filter