Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nyrgirl35

Range hood and make up air

nyrgirl35
9 years ago

Hi. I will be getting a 36" gas range ( no griddle or grill ) all 6 burners. I added up all 6 burners and BTU's are 70,000. I checked to see what some 30" range BTU's and they are around 60,000. I have a 48" wood hood and my cabinet salesman suggested the Zephyr insert with 1000 CFM. I never had a ducted vent that will be added during renovations.
But now I'm freaking out after I read about make up air, I never heard of this before. I live in NY not sure of any codes here? But I'm not just worried about codes I'm also worried about this in general. I can't afford to put in system for make up air, what are my options? lower CFM? 400? 600?
It doesn't seem that my range has that much more BTU's then the average 30" range. I know I would never be using all 6 burners at the same time on max. My house was built in the 80's, the kitchen has vaulted ceilings, window is close to range ( not sure if any of this matters )! What's the lowest CFM I can use? I don't fry a lot other then your basic chicken chicken cutlets. I mean before I had a recirculating hood that never really worked so when I did fry I just cracked my window open. Should I just have stayed with recirculating? Never had a problem before with grease on cabinets or anything!
Sorry for the long post I'm just freaking because my reno starts on Monday and just read about this.
Thanks

Comments (4)

• hvtech42
    9 years ago

It's less about whether the codes exist in your area, and more about whether they are enforcing it currently there. Nevertheless, they are there for a reason, and if you ignore them without doing your homework, that 1000 CFM hood could give you carbon monoxide poisoning.

How tight is your house? What other gas appliances do you have? Your answers to those questions will determine how crucial makeup air.

Makeup air can probably be had for cheaper than you think. All you need is a duct going from outside, either to your kitchen or to your HVAC system, with a damper that triggers when the hood is turned on.

Having said all that, I doubt you need 1000 CFM. You could probably get away with 600-700. The rule of thumb is 100 CFM per 10,000 BTU.

BTW: The average total BTU for a 30" range is 40K not 60K. Only high end 30" ranges have 60K or more.

Here is a link that might be useful: What Is Make-Up Air? (Definitions/Solutions)

• nyrgirl35
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I have a gas heating system, dryer and water heater. I'm not sure about how tight the house is, but if I had to guess I don't think super tight I feel drafts here and there.
    I don't even want the 1000 CFM, I feel like I'd be fine with 600 CFM because of my cooking style. If the 600 would be ok
    I agree I'm worried more about safety then anything else. Is this something that can only happen when the fan is on? And once the fan is off there's no risk?

• hvtech42
    9 years ago

When you turn the fan on and exhaust all that air out of your house, it has to be replaced somehow. If your house is particularly well sealed, it is going to take the path of least resistance and come from your chimney, furnace/water heater flue, dryer vent, etc... bad places!

I will say that most existing/not particularly tight houses I've seen are fine with 600, especially if a window is opened. Of course though, I can't make any claims about your specific situation from over the internet.

• nyrgirl35
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes I understand. Thanks for your help. And thanks for article you link too.

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida