Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
happydoc

HVAC sizing with hydrotonic radiant

Happydoc
10 years ago

I am building a new construction in Minnesota and was wondering if eyeballing the sizes seem okay. I feel they are little oversized but I am not sure. I know to get a manual J calc from them but wanted to see what you guys thought.

Stats - 6700 sq ft home, r21 walls, r50 ceiling, majority of windows faces east. 2 story - 3 zones. Hydrotonic infloor heat in the basement. Marivn Integrity windows.

1. Main/lower - 100,000 btu bryant 2 stage/var speed. 4 ton AC. 1 venmar 2.6 HE HRV (~4752 sq ft)

2. 2 story (Upper) - 60,000 btu bryant 2 stage/var speed. 3 ton.
1 venmar 2.6 HE (~1808 sq ft)

Do I really need two HRV air exchangers? Do my heat/cooling loads look roughly okay? The HVAC guy is very knowledge and has answered many of my questions. Does adding infloor radiant heat technically downsize the furnace?

Comments (6)

• fsq4cw
    10 years ago

Your question seems to indicate that youâÂÂre planning for perhaps 3 or more heating, cooling and ventilation systems. 2-HPs with perhaps 2-gas furnaces plus perhaps 2-HRVs PLUS a hydronic boiler for yet another system, in-floor radiant heating.

Hydronically heated floors can also be used for cooling too.

Are you planning to install a spa, whirl pool or in-ground pool? What about domestic hot water (DHW)?

Have you considered geothermal with only 1-highly integrated hydronic liquid-to-water geothermal heat pump system to do it all?

âÂÂThink waterâ for the whole system.

Pros:

MUCH lower operating cost
    Greater efficiency
    Less maintenance
    Greater comfort
    More zoning possibilities
    No floor registers
    Lower noise levels (Inside/Outside)
    Longer life cycle
    Higher resale value

Cons:

Higher first costs
    Requires higher degree of design/install expertise

IMO

SR

• Happydoc
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I looked into geothermal, but the cost was over $90k-$100k range which was a little to pricey, plus we have a lot of rock so I likely needed vertical wells which would bump that price further. So geothermal is out.

I don't think we have heat pumps in the current plan. I am on natural gas. Since we live in Minnesota we will need furnace/ac anyways.

My understanding of the plan is 2 furnaces with 2 HRVs and 2ACs. One set for lower/main and one set for upper floor.

For water, we are using solo prestige 110 with a smart60 indirect water heater. Hopefully this should be enough to give us reasonable unlimited hot water.

I felt the HRV HE 2.6 were oversized but not entirely sure. Maybe the furnaces are too? We are have a 20 minute push bottom to two different laundry rooms for fresh air.

• ionized_gw
    10 years ago

I think that there is some confusion from the use of "furnace". Often people refer to their boilers as furnaces. OP, you plan hydronic heat only, no forced air heat?

• Happydoc
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Both, plan to have radiant in floor heat in basement and all bathrooms. Forced all in basement, main, and upper.

Furnace, I mean forced air only. Bryant 95T series.

• mike_home
    10 years ago

You should review the load calculation carefully. This is a big house and there are plenty of places to make mistakes.

What are the areas of the first floor and basement? The basement area presents very little load assuming it is below ground.

• Happydoc
    Original Author
    10 years ago

We have one bedroom on basement, one on main floor, and 3 bedrooms upstairs. Family room/rec room basement, then standard rooms on main floor.

Anybody else have a guess whether this looks about right?