Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New construction and no heat - how long can this go on?

Posted by jp97 (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 26, 12 at 0:49

We've had pretty warm weather up until now so this has not been a real issue but with temps expected to drop to freezing over the next few nights, I'm concerned that the new construction house still has no heat. Contractor doesn't seem concerned.

Current status of house is that drywall was just recently finished. Trim work should be starting next. There was a delay with the brick so it won't be installed for two more weeks.

Contractor says can't hook up the heat with no brick and no electric panel.

Am I right to be concerned??

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New construction and no heat - how long can this go on?

It is really not an issue. You can run portable furnaces in the house if there is a particular concern. If the house is all closed up, it usually will stay pretty warm inside although you could be in Maine or Alaska.

The only issue with the cold is pouring the foundation. People tend to work outside slowly in the cold but there is nothing you can do about that.

o

Agree with David Cary. The only time there might be major concerns would be when pouring cement (if no additives for cold pour were in the mix), drywall mudding/finishing in very cold environment(yours is complete I believe) and after water service to house has been established (late in the building process).

Most likely your new home will not have it's heating system operational until near the completion of the entire house. I don't forsee any problems other than possible personal discomfort of subcontractors working in a cold house which could always be taken care of by portable heaters.

Typically the general contractor won't be asking the utility provider(s) to hook up their meters until they are almost complete with the home... maybe a couple of weeks prior to certificate of occupancy.

o

Where I am (British Columbia, interior) it's pretty much SOP to use construction heaters - gas, or temp electric, once they start to insulate if it's cold, I guess to dry everything - then through the drywalling and mudding process.

You should check what's standard in your area - if contractor seems on the ball, he/she may be right, but you're correct, it's probably getting close to being needed.

Like I said, temp heating is easy to organise. If you go for propane or diesel, make sure there's adequate ventilation.

o

If there is no water yet, no.

It would have to stay below freezing for several hours (or leaving the windows open) for the pipes to get cold enough to freeze.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here