Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jamshed_gw

Need to prevent condensate spills from AC units.

Jamshed Mulla
9 years ago

We are renovating our finished basement. The basement has been bone dry for 25 years. No water from the outside at all. It is currently carpeted and we are going to replace it with a laminate flooring.

The only time we have had water problems in the basement is when one of the two indoor AC units (which are located smack in the center of the basement) have leaked condensate, either because the drain lines got clogged or the condensate pump float got stuck. I have learned my lesson and now rebuild the pump and clean the drain lines thoroughly every spring.

I would like to install moisture sensors connected to kill switches for both the indoor units.

Can anyone recommend a good brand and/or source for such sensors and switches?

Another additional precaution I would like to take is to surround the units with some sort of water "dam". The units are on the floor and it would be impossible to slip a drip pan under them now. I was thinking of using some 4" - 5" wide sheet metal strips, bending them lengthwise at a right angle, and constructing a perimeter around both units. I would use some good epoxy (any recommendations?) to seal the bottom of the strips to the floor and coat the inner surfaces with some waterproof compound such as Plasti Dip.

Has anyone tried to do something similar? Any advice?

Comment (1)