Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dal34

Carrier Oil hybrid system options

dal34
12 years ago

I'm planning to replace my oil furnace and A/C with a new hybrid oil furnace and heatpump. I live in the southern New Jersey area.

Can you please provide feedback on the two Carrier systems that I've been quoted. I was told that system 1 has a better furnace (with Riello burner and the better "4T blower"?), and system 2 has a higher "series" heat pump.

system 1:

25HBC536A003 heat pump

CNPVP4221ATA coil

OVMAAB048112 furnace with Riello burner #KLABR0301RLO

system 2:

25HCC536 heat pump

CNPVP coil

OVMAAB3698 furnace (Beckett burner I think)

Is the furnace in system 1 truly better?

Is it a mistake to go with the supposedly "lower-end" heat pump in system 1?

What else should I be asking the contractors?

Which system, or combination would you recommend?

Comments (8)

• neohioheatpump
    12 years ago

I'm not too familiar with model numbers, but you want the highest efficiency single stage heatpump. I would prefer one with demand defrost which carrier models don't offer but carrier still makes good equipment.

If you want demand defrost you need to go with trane/am-std, rheem/ruud, york/luxaire/coleman, and I think one more brand offers it.

Good idea getting the heatpump to do most of the heating instead of expensive oil.

Is your house decently insulated and leak free? Heatpumps don't do as well in houses that are leaky and badly insulated.

• dal34
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the response. We have good insulation and sealing, so the heat pump seems reasonable. Thanks.

• tigerdunes
    12 years ago

Dal

I am not an oil furnace expert so I will defer to others in this area.

However, the HP in system #2 is a better choice.

While electronic demand defrost feature is preferred, it is not available on Carrier HPs. Not as big a deal though in a dual fuel system.

What thermostat/controls have been quoted?

The coil size/ mdl number makes a big difference. Post back on the one quoted.

I do prefer a good fitting box filter cabinet.

What size furnace and AC are you replacing?

Post back.

IMO

• mike_home
    12 years ago

Have you calculated the operating costs of the new oil furnace versus the heat pump with back up heat strips? You should do this before sinking money into a new furnace.

An alternative may be to forego the furnace and put the money towards Carrier's new top of the line heat pump.

• tigerdunes
    12 years ago

Dal

I agree with above post.

You want to compare upfront costs and operating costs.

Of course, home's electric service panel has to be evaluated to handle backup heat strips.

IMO

• dal34
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I definitely want to go with the furnace as opposed to just the HP - even if the operating costs suggest getting by with heat pump only.

Tigerdunes - the coil for the heat pump in system #2 is the CNPVP3617ATA. That contractor said that it's a better match with the system than using the bigger CNPVP4221ATA, even though on paper it might look like the bigger coil will provide a tiny bit more efficiency. He said the 3.5-ton coil would probably work fine and will do it if I insist (same price), but said it might have some marginal impact of the long-term life of the system (may introduce some static pressure?)

The thermidostat is the Carrier EDGE Programmable TPPRH01 in both cases.

I'm replacing a 3-ton AC and furnace. I've added about 400sqft to the house, but the heating and cooling of the old system seemed adequate.

I believe the load calculations came out to 72k for heating aand about 40-41k for cooling on a 98-degree day (rare), but I'm ductwork limited, particularly on the return due to the addition to the house.

The system #2 guy thinks that the 4T blower in system #1 is overkill.

Any more thoughts from anybody?

• tigerdunes
    12 years ago

Dal

The correct coil mdl number is 3717a

See below.

4194689 Active Systems COMFORT 15 PURON SINGLE STAGE HP CARRIER AIR CONDITIONING 25HCC536A**30 � CNPV*3717A** OVMAAB036098 34800 12.00 14.00 35200 8.40 22200

Be aware this system only produces 35 KBTUs in cooling mode.

IMO

• dal34
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the response. We have good insulation and sealing, so the heat pump seems reasonable. Thanks.