Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Will I regret going oversize on new gas boiler?

Posted by walrus (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 12, 11 at 22:53

Have a quote to install a Burnham gas fired SCG5 boiler, concentric vent, Watts 911S, Taco SR504, piping, remove old system, electrical and whatever else completes the system for $7300 including the local gas company incentive.

The proper size to install has been calculated to be a SCG4, but we're contemplating an addition sometime down the road and a SCG5 would be the proper size if/when that happens.

The contractor recommends installing the SCG5 now, with a manifold with extra connections to accommodate the addition.

How bad would it be long term if the SCG5 is installed and we don't do the addition?

We're upgrading from a 1979 oil fired system.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Will I regret going oversize on new gas boiler?

Sounds like a good plan depending on how long before you add on. Your boiler will probably short cycle which will shorten its life. If there is chance you wont add on its a little risky. You could do the smaller unit and plan on making the addition super efficient.

o
RE: Will I regret going oversize on new gas boiler?

I assume this is a hot water system and not steam.

I am a homeowner and not an expert, but you have to be careful about matching the size of the boiler to the amount of baseboard. You should discuss with the HVAC contractor how this will affect the performance.

I suppose you can think of the extra manifold being connected to a separate zone which is never enabled.

Boilers have long lives, so I would not be worried about reducing it. I grew up in old houses which had oversized boilers. They seemed to last forever.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here