Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cherryboy77

Need a HVAC installer and new system

cherryboy77
11 years ago

I live in Port Saint Lucie Fl 34983 and need a new HVAC system. My 12 year old American Standard is leaking freon

and I have been told now by three different repairman a new system is needed. I have paid $700 alone in freon the last 6 months.

My current unit is - American Standard Allegiance 14

American Standard 3.5 ton Condenser unit Allegiance 14 seer split system with 10 kw heat -- 14.25 seer 7A4042B100A

Air Handler indoor unit model number TWE040E13FB installed

January 2000.

This unit worked pretty good for 10 years. My wife's biggest complaint is the noise coming from the indoor garage

installed air handler" next to our family room " that is very loud.

I think the high-end Trane or American Standard Systems might help. My neighbor has a Trane system ,but his is mounted in the attic and is very quiet compared to our current unit.

Today I had a quote from a small contractor and he would only give me 3 months of free labor on a low end Ruud.

Comments (6)

• cherryboy77
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Our house is 1800 square ft built in 1984 . We are the original owners and have lived in the same home for 29 years. 3-2 CBS construction.

• Britney80
    11 years ago

You should pay nothing over $4000, or they are ripping you off, do your homework, find a small company that has a hard worker and you will get that price, big name companies will try to charge you 6-8000 for a unit, which is ridiculous.

• hamconsulting
    11 years ago

American Standard is supposed to be a top brand (made by Trane). If you do have the Allegiance 14 (mid-level unit), it's supposed to last more than 12 years. I'd be very disappointed if my AS Allegiance a/c system lasted only 12 years.

Ruud/Rheem is also a top brand.

All brands have low end models, but I think you already know this since you mentioned getting a high-end unit.

I'm assuming that they cannot repair the leak otherwise you wouldn't be trying to replace.

For a 12-year mid-level equipment, I would consider just replacing the existing a/c condenser (outside unit) and moving the air-handler to a quieter location (not sure where).

I'm personally finding it difficult to get a reasonable price to install a mid-level top-brand complete a/c system.

• cherryboy77
    Original Author
    11 years ago

On Saturday morning I decided to use the same HVAC owner Installer who sold me the American Standard unit in Jan.2000.This man has been my only ac person for over 20 years.I knew him when he was a one man company in the 90's.

The lady who does the quote pricing was not there , but he said they would be at my home early Monday morning. I had a written quote for $4997.00 from their service rep. This owner said not to worry the final cost could go up a few hundred dollars.

They would remove the old duct work first ,then pick out the most efficient system . The unit was a 3.5 ton - 14.25 seer mid gold series American Standard unit. They would complete the installation by Monday evening.

My wife who is in her early 60's started cleaning out the entire attic throwing away many toys for future grand children and moving many heavy items. It was very very hot in the attic. I worked on the attic ladder replacing and tightening loose bolts. We were really exhausted.

On Monday morning we were up at 5:00:am and I moved both cars out of the garage to a friendly neighbor's driveway.
    I even paid him to keep my one classic car in his garage.

My wife went to work and I waited and waited ,but no a/c men came.They couldn't even give us a simple phone call.

Than around 11:00:am they call and ask me to drive over to their small building. The final price had gone up to $8,300
    and if I agree to this , they may be able to start late Monday evening.

• neohioheatpump
    11 years ago

They called you to the building telling you the price went up to $8300? Tell them NO DEAL. I hope you didn't give them any money yet. Some friends of the familiy recently got scammed by a contractor who was trusted by family members for years. It seems that contractor was getting divorced and likely on drugs and was fine with simply cutting all ties with everyone he delt with. Crazy. Just find someone else willing to do the job.

• energy_rater_la
    11 years ago

you need to get more bids.
    having an understanding of what you
    are paying to install should be clearly
    explained, so that you have no questions
    & no suprises.

don't by any means allow this company to almost
    double the price.

you say remove ducts in your post..are you replacing
    equipment & ductwork? then the price would be more
    in line.

have you thought about heat pumps? electric strip
    is the most expensive way to heat. having a heat
    pump saves in the winter during heating season.

what happened on Monday..did you get $8300 job
    or decide to take time to get more info.

best of luck.

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?