Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What to look for in a central ac system?

Posted by twingle (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 26, 12 at 22:33

New to central ac and justing starting to get quotes. I think what I found out so far is that having the right size units is vital. So get several opinions and see if they all agree on siz eof units needed. Go for a good seer rating. Copper tube not aluminum. 10 yr warranty. A two stage cooling. Stick with Trane ,Carrier or Rheem.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What to look for in a central ac system?

Are you replacing an old system or is this a new installation in a new home, or in an existing home?

Ducts are as important as the equipment hooked to them. That is if you want ducts. Personally, I'd stay away from them in many cases.

o

I don't have any ac. I have oil baseboard heat

o

You are not in a big cooling climate then? Do you plan to get a heat pump to lower your heating costs? Can you put your ducts within the existing envelope or do they have to go in the attic or basement, if you have those? The former is much better. In retrofits, you might want to consider mini splits. Look at Sanyo, Toshiba and Mitsubishi web sites if you are not familiar with them.

o

Where are you located?

o

I'm on Long Island. I have an attic no basement. Oil baseboard heat. Colonial 2 floors. 1st fl approx 2300 sq ft and 2nd fl 1700 sq ft. house has about 35 windows. I have a new Diblasi oil furnace with a 35 gal hot water heater.

o

Do you have a crawlspace?

o

Yes a crawl space. half my windows face east half west. Family of 5. 4 bedrooms 2 baths upstairs. Avg insulation. I like the master suite really cold.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here