Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
danielb_gw

Another Lennox Quote Sanity Check

danielb
11 years ago

Greetings -- I'm in the NoVa area and received the following quote for a new Lennox HVAC system. The home is a rental unit - a 4-level town home. I'm wondering if the quote -- $7200, including rebate -- is reasonable. The firm will honor the recently expired Lennox rebate if installed before Sep 10. If after, they tell me that Lennox will have a new rebate but I will have to wait 6-8 weeks for a check from Lennox.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

-One Lennox SL280UH090XV48B (80% AFUE/88,000 BTU Input), 2 stage gas valve, variable speed blower, gas furnace.

-One Lennox XC17-036 (3 Ton/16.50 SEER), 1 speed, a/c condensing unit.

-One Lennox CX34-38B, cased, evaporator coil.

-One Lennox I-Comfort Control, programmable thermostat.

Installation To Include:

-All necessary duct work to install the new gas furnace and evaporator coil.

-All necessary power and control wiring to connect the new furnace and condensing unit, including a new outside fused disconnect box.

-All necessary piping to vent the new gas furnace.

-Flush out and re-use the existing copper refrigerant lines.

-All necessary gas, refrigerant, water and drain connections.

-Install a new emergency drain pan and safety drain switch beneath the new gas furnace.

-One new equipment pad for the new a/c condensing unit.

-Removal of all trash and old equipment from the jobsite.

-Check the new system operation and make all of the necessary adjustments.

-Obtain necessary permits.

Warranty:

-Two years parts and labor on all installed equipment by the firm.

-Ten year parts warranty on the a/c condensing unit, gas furnace and evaporator coil by Lennox.

-Ten year compressor warranty on the a/c condensing unit by Lennox.

-Twenty year heat exchanger warranty on the gas furnace by Lennox.

Comments (10)

• tigerdunes
    11 years ago

What is size of rental town home?

What is size of existing furnace and AC?

Town home is detached or shares common walls with other units?

Why the more expensive XC17 and not the XC14?

Any air filter cabinet?

Post back.

IMO

• danielb
    Original Author
    11 years ago

>What is size of rental town home?
    2400 sq Ft

>What is size of existing furnace and AC?
    same as proposed

>Town home is detached or shares common walls with other units?
    Town home is an end-unit, sharing one wall.

>Why the more expensive XC17 and not the XC14?
    There is an option for XC14-036 (3 Ton/15.70 SEER) with a Honeywell Focus Pro 6000 thermostat for $6140, all else the same.

>Any air filter cabinet?
    No

• tigerdunes
    11 years ago

Any heating and cooling issues with existing equipment?

A few suggestions.

I would want a whole house air filter cabinet especially for rental unit.

No need for the more expensive XC17 condenser, go with the. XC14.

You need a true two stage thermostat with that furnace. Thermostat should control the staging, not timer on furnace control board. Discuss with dealer.

IMO

• danielb
    Original Author
    11 years ago

>Any heating and cooling issues with existing equipment?
    Nothing out of the ordinary for a tall, narrow space, top floor gets warm in summer.

>I would want a whole house air filter cabinet especially for rental unit.
    Advantage?

>No need for the more expensive XC17 condenser, go with the. XC14.
    OK

>You need a true two stage thermostat with that furnace. Thermostat should control the staging, not timer on furnace control board. Discuss with dealer.
    Will the Lennox I-Comfort control do that? Any other brands to consider?

Thanks for all of your feedback. Does the pricing look right?

• tigerdunes
    11 years ago

How many returns do you have now? At least one on each floor?
    How do you filter your return air now?

Here are the the advantages to a whole house air filter cabinet.
    Indoor air quality
    Protection of both evap coil and blower motor asbly at furnace

And probably the most important, you don't have to rely on renters to change 1" filters on a regular basis which they are notorious for failing to perform this chore which can cause expensive service calls to correct. The filters in whole house media cabinet last up to one year. Put it on your calendar and give them the filter to replace. Changeout is easy and quick.

As to thermostat, you should discuss with dealer. There are several good models to choose from including WR and HW. Not certain about the Lennox. You definitely do not want a timer controlling the staging but rather the thermostat based on demand. This is not an area to take a cheap shortcut like many dealers do and homeowners aren't educated enough to know the difference.

Pricing seems reasonable. Suggest competitive quotes from another dealer though.

IMO

• danielb
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you so much tigerdunes, your advice makes eminent sense. Appreciate the time you put in here.

• cindywhitall
    11 years ago

I assume the renters pay gas and electric?

• danielb
    Original Author
    11 years ago

They do. You are suggesting I am a skinflint landlord by not installing a more efficient system? I haven't talked to the dealer about a higher efficiency unit but I would likely run afoul of the HOA if I have to exhaust through the wall. And I am trying to keep costs -- and subsequent rent increases -- down while providing a durable system that frees me from weekend calls. Don't know if I'm there yet.

• tigerdunes
    11 years ago

Usually HOA covenants for condos and Town Homes restrict gas furnaces to 80% eff non condensing models. Daniel is on the correct path.

Daniel, you might want to get a price on a Lennox Ext warranty to cover labor costs for any problem encountered the first 10 yrs. Usually the cost is about 10% of the purchase cost of new system. Price can be negotiated with some dealers. I have mixed opinions on these warranties and their worth. Depends on what kind of peace of mind you like versus spending more bucks.

IMO

• cindywhitall
    11 years ago

I actaully meant that if the landlord pays the bills he might want higher efficiency. There may be some renters who look at efficiency, but probably not many. A new reliable system should be good for most renters.

What will happen with condos etc in the north when the law requires high eff? The hvac companies should be marketing to those complexes now to tell the owners they might want to be replacing older units now to avoid added expense and hassle later.

Sponsored
Premier Home Services, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Loudoun County Complete Turn-Key Contracting Solutions