Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
charlybob

I pulled the trigger

CharlyBob
12 years ago

I have gone with the Carrier Greenspeed 25VNA036, FE4AN0005 Air Handler and Infinity Control Thermostat, 5" High Efficiency Filter, Metal trunk ducting, insulated and sealed, flex supply and return lines and secondary drain pan, 10 year warranty for parts and compressor, and 10 year labor warranty. This setup has a SEER of 20.0 and HSPF of 12.4. I looked at proposals from Trane and York. Trane rep walked through the home, said the we will put supply ducts here and return ducts here, and here is the price. Both York and Carrier walked through the home, noted all room sizes and window and door size and placement (from blueprint). York rep was very thorough, but a visit to his business showed one service vehicle, and with install and service being a priority, I passed on York. I know the Greenspeed is new, but the technology is not. Carrier rep has been in Columbus since 1920, has won Carrier Presidents Award and highly rated on Angie's List. I want to thank all who responded to my posts. One responce was from "SkyHeating".....This is a Trane Dealer, and he gave me a large amount of responce and answers, both here and HVAC Forum. I cannot speak of all the professionals that post here, but based upon what I have seen and the questions that were answered by a businessman who has no chance of getting my business, provided information that helped me make my decision. For that, I say "Thank You".

Comments (14)

• fsq4cw
    12 years ago

Congratulations, you bought the best air-source technology available to date. Sized and installed properly I am quite sure you will have no regrets!

SR

• tigerdunes
    12 years ago

Charly

What is your location?

What size strip heat?

IMO

• CharlyBob
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I live in Central Ohio - Heat strip is 20 KWH

• tigerdunes
    12 years ago

Charly

What size is your home?

A 20KW sounds oversized. That's nearly 70 KBTUs.

Is it staged? If so, in what increments?

IMO

• CharlyBob
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The dwelling is a single story 1826 Sq. Ft. with conditioned, finished 1000 sq. ft basement. I have not asked about the heat strips and whether it is staged. The installation head is coming tomorror to show me where they will place the outdoor unit, and I have the attic area ready for the air handler. I think that they used the FE4ANF0005 unit to get a 12.4 HSPF and 20.0 SEER rating. I'll check tomorrow.

• fsq4cw
    12 years ago

Heat strips sound like they could be 15kW instead of 20kW. The system is only 3-ton. Discuss this with your installer. 20kW is approaching the limit of a 200amp entrance given everything else connected to the load centre. The 20kW backup is staged at 5, 15 & 20kW. The 15kW backup is staged at 5, 10 & 15kW.

I'm a bit surprised they are not using the FE4ANF003000 Slope fan coil unit that provides output between 24,000Btu & 42,000Btu (2 to 3-1/2-ton) as opposed to the FE4ANF005000 that provides output between 30,000Btu & 48,000Btu (2-1/2 to 4-ton).

I would think that the smaller unit would be more efficient, less noisy (mechanical room & at the registers), provide better dehumidification, and be a better match for a HP running at reduced output (variable speed), not to mention less expensive. I also happen to like the sloped coil of the FE4ANF003000.

However, your installer may have good reason for his choice. Verify that your ductwork can handle up to 1600cfm.

SR

• tigerdunes
    12 years ago

Charly

The 005 air handler is a better choice than the 003 according to the AHRI HP directory. You get a better balance of cooling and heating BTUs plus the HSPF heating eff is nearly 20% higher. Dealer should set the CFMs at 400/ton or 1200 CFMs for a three ton system. Not a big deal at all.

Now to the heat strip. With the new Greenspeed, you get about 30 KBTUs of heating at 17 degree. Not shabby at all for a three ton system. You definitely don't need a 20 KW heat strip. I would want the 15 KW but make certain it is staged like SR said.

IMO

• tigerdunes
    12 years ago

4616892 Active Systems INFINITY 20 HP WITH GREENSPEED
    INTELLIGENCE CARRIER AIR CONDITIONING 25VNA036A**30
    � FE4AN(B,F)003+UI � 33400 13.20 19.20 35600 10.50 29200 1 HRCU-A-CB � � 203 622 Yes

4616934 Active Systems INFINITY 20 HP WITH GREENSPEED INTELLIGENCE CARRIER AIR CONDITIONING 25VNA036A**30 � FE4AN(B,F)005+UI � 35000 14.00 20.00 33400
    12.40 31000 1 HRCU-A-CB � � 204 527 Yes

4539517 Active Systems INFINITY 20 HP WITH GREENSPEED INTELLIGENCE CARRIER AIR CONDITIONING 25VNA036A**30
    � FE4ANB006+UI � 35000 14.50 20.50 33400 13.00 31600 1 HRCU-A-CB Yes � 199 502 Yes

4616891 Active Systems INFINITY 20 HP WITH GREENSPEED INTELLIGENCE CARRIER AIR CONDITIONING 25VNA036A**30 � FE4ANF002+UI � 33200 12.70 18.60 35800 10.50 29800 1 HRCU-A-CB
    �
    �

�

• CharlyBob
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I spoke with my contractor this morning. The stated issue regarding 200 amp service entrance. I have a 40 circuit box, with two empty slots. With the removal of the baseboard heaters, I will have a minimum of six empty slots for use with new system. Contractor suggests staying with the 005 air handler, but switching to 15 KWH "staged" heat strips. Since I have no alternate fuel source, this system was designed to provide the highest HSPF available. ALL Ducting is new and is installed with the system, so CFM will be matched to the new duct system.

• tigerdunes
    12 years ago

Charly

You do want to make certain that 15 KW heat strip is staged.

Of course, the value of this system will be determined by your operating cost and comfort during the winter mths.

Post back afterbthe install as well as in January.

BTW, ask dealer if the Greenspeed has timed defrost or electronic demand defrost.

IMO

• fsq4cw
    12 years ago

If your 40 breaker load centre has the space for your Greenspeed installation and the baseboard heaters are already there, I would leave that as is but switch the baseboard breakers off only to be used for back up should the fan coil fail.

SR

• tigerdunes
    12 years ago

Not a bad idea at all by SR.

Probably though, the biggest problem based on location will be keeping power in inclement weather.

IMO

• CharlyBob
    Original Author
    12 years ago

We have lived in this home for over 30 years. We had a blizzard in 1978 and we lost power for about 4 days, and another in 1990 and we never lost power. My memory is not what it used to be so the dates might be off, but we have been very lucky that we have had only one major power outages that lasted more than a few hours in that time period.

• nexsen
    11 years ago

Charly please contact me. I have two Greenspeed systems with problems and I'd like to compare notes. Thanks, Nick

My email address is Nick at LipFix dot com

(No, I'm not a plastic surgeon. - but I can wish!)

My company manufactures devices to correct lip-sync error in home cinema systems.)