Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
distarr

Trane transformer problem

distarr
12 years ago

I consider myself pretty handy, but electrical issues are not my strong point. In a recent power surge, we lost our fridge and a/c unit (Trane ). After paying a repairman to fix the fridge, I was determined to fix the a/c myself. I determined the problem was the 240 V to 24 V 40 VA step down transformer (24 V side is oc). However, I have been having a difficult time buying one because nobody will sell it to me - apparently a liability issue for selling to an unlicensed contractor. A Trane authorized parts dealer (not service tech) told my wife that I could "burn down the house" if I tried to do it myself, so she doesn't want me to do it. I can find plenty of 240V-24V-40VA transformers online, but now I am doubting whether I should do it. Seems like these things should be simple and interchangeable and easy to do if you have enough sense to keep the high and low voltage sides correct.

Can I do this? Would putting in a non-Trane authorized part have any effect on the waranty? It is 1.5 yo and has a 5 year parts and 1 year labor warranty.

I want to replace a Basler Electric BE40136001 transformer with (for example) a White Rogers 90-T40F3S1 transformer. Amazon is out of stock - what is another reputable online dealer?

Comments (5)