Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Opinions on HVAC quote?

Posted by jds2013 (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 15, 13 at 22:22

Hi, I'm in the process of replacing the AC and gas furnace for my upstairs floor, approximately 1,500 feet (house is 3,000 overall) in central NC, built in 2005. I just received the quote below, which seems extremely high to me. Just wanted a reality check from anyone willing to give a quick opinion.

Lennox XC21 (3 Ton)
Lennox SL280V
$15,400

I'll be contacting another company tomorrow, but would like to have an idea of whether this current quote is even in the ballpark of what it should be. Thank you!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Opinions on HVAC quote?

Without knowing scope of work involved, I would say price is absurd and close to being highway robbery.

I would get a quote on small Trane XV80 furnace with appropriate sized high eff AC condenser. A second suggestion would be small Carrier Infinity 80 furnace with appropriate sized AC condenser.

What size HVAC are you replacing? Any particular problems?

IMO

This post was edited by tigerdunes on Mon, Sep 16, 13 at 11:05

o

I'm no pro, but that seems sick!

I'm similarly looking for a 2T HVAC replacement and the highest end/Cadillac models are only around 11 grand before negotiations...

o

Thanks for your insight! The current HVAC is a 2.5 ton (if that's an appropriate answer regarding size). The only problem is that the AC is rusting out and taking the furnace with it, so it seems like it should be a pretty straightforward job to replace them. I'll ask tomorrow (different company) about the ones you mentioned and report back. Thanks again!

o

To close the loop, the second company quoted:

Carrier Comfort 16
Carrier Infinity 80
16 SEER
$6,200 ($300 tax credit)

Carrier Comfort 13
Carrier Performance 80
14 SEER
$5,200 (no tax credit)

Much more reasonable (obviously the lower SEER accounts for part of it, but it seems like 20 was overkill).

I'm leaning towards the 14 SEER, anyone have any thoughts? I'll be in the house long enough to realize any long-term savings in energy bills, but the $700 price difference is a lot to overcome, even over a long time. Thanks again!

This post was edited by jds2013 on Wed, Sep 18, 13 at 20:30

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here