Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Trane furnace choices:XR95 or XV95 or XL95 ?

Posted by fisher_man (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 17, 11 at 22:17

Hello, experts!

I read everything I could about Trane and still can't figure out which furnace is best for my needs.

According to the calculations I need a 60,000 BTU furnace and a 2 ton AC. I live in Pittsburgh, PA.

The question is about reliability and comfort:

XL95 communicating furnace - sounds great, but I am concerned with reliability
XV95 - a winner ?
XR95 - may be 1 stage heat is not great for Pittsburgh weather.

Should I go with the authorized dealer? What if the price is too high? The equipment is covered by Trane either way. Am I wrong?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Trane furnace choices:XR95 or XV95 or XL95 ?

Fisher

XV95.

You will need a two stg thermostat for best operation.

What are you doing about AC?

IMO

o

Tigerdunes! Thank you !!!!! Got some peace of mind.

AC - thinking of XR15 15 SEER, but may be save ($) and go with XR13.

XL is probably expensive.

o

Fisher

And I do prefer using authorized dealers.

Both XR13 and XR15 are nice condensers. Weigh the cost difference vs the potential savings. You do want a Trane coil, no third party coil substitute.

I also suggestive good 4-5" pleated filter media cabinet.

IMO

o

Can you tell us to what kind of 'calculations' you refer? How about sensible and latent loads?

V

o

Thank you, Tigerdunes,

Filter cabinet sounds good, but that's an additional expense. I may not be able to pull it all off.

Hello, Veesubotee:

I just used an online calculator, where you enter the square footage of the house, very simple. I do realize that it's not accurate, but different online calculators give me similar results: from 41,000 - 48,000 BTU furnace. You are not going to approve the approach, but that's all I can do.
Hope it will all work out.

Thank you!

o

Right off of the bat, you could take 2 identical homes 1000 feet apart, but oriented differently. Each might have different heat loss/gain properties.

You could spend $50 and do it yourself. Take a look at hvaccomputer.com. You can try out the software to get the feel of it. won't give you any results. Need to fork over the cash.

P.S., don't add any fudge factors; already built in. Note: Always make sure that the a/c unit you choose has the necessary sensible capacity.

o

Fisher

One thought.

Assuming your heating load calc is accurate, you might check with a Carrier/Bryant dealer about a closer sizing match on a two stg var speed furnace.

IMO

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here