Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
need advice-- should i replace my oil steam boiler with gas unit

Posted by bigds01 (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 8, 11 at 22:15

I have a very large credit with my plumber. Our home is a 1885 single pipe steam radiator heated home.

I can replace the existing oil boiler with either another oil or a gas unit. There is already a gas line in the house.

Which type of fuel is less expensive to run?

Also, there is an indirect water unit that I want to replace with a separate water heater since we always run out of hot water. Any thoughts on whether having a separate heater vs indirect unit will give me more hot water?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: need advice-- should i replace my oil steam boiler with gas

Gas is most definitly less expensive to heat with than oil. Oil is expensive. Switch to the gas.

o

Swithcing from oil to gas, especially when the gas line is already in the house, is an very easy decision. You will easily cut your heating bills in half.

I recommend you have the plumber install a separate gas hot water. The hot water heater can be sized to your needs. Usually 40-50 gallons is adequate for most families. This is also a more efficient to heat hot water resulting in additional savings.

o

We switched to a gas fired steam system in 2009 and never looked back. We're saving about $1200 yearly on heating.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here