Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
flower10lady

AC Problem

flower10lady
10 years ago

I had a new Rheem heating and ac system installed in August. The AC is driving me crazy because it continually goes on and off. They put in a Honeywell TH6220D thermostat. I have kept a record of when it comes on and off and how long it runs but they tell me it is very precise and will come on when the temp varies just a a part of a degree. My PG&E bill came after a month of use and it was $176.38. My home is approx. 1,200 sq ft and I live in the east contra costa county of CA.

Some examples today are: On 5:58/off 6:05, on 6:20/off 6:28, on 6:37/off 6:45, on 6:56/off 7:03.

It is a 14 seer, up to 16 seer unit.

Thanks for your help.

Comments (13)

• mike_home
    10 years ago

What is the size of your AC condenser. It might too big and is short cycling.

• flower10lady
    Original Author
    10 years ago

It is 2.5 tons

• tigerdunes
    10 years ago

These cycle times.

At what outside temp? At what indoor thermostat setting?

Depending on conditions and your home's insulation qualities, you may be oversized.

One other thought. Some of these HW thermostats have a CPH setting. If your model has that feature, it should be set at 2-3 CPH. This will force a longer running cycle which you definitely need.

Post back.

IMO

• mike_home
    10 years ago

Is there an AC register near the thermostat? Is so trying closing it. Sometimes the thermostat gets a blast of cold air which causes it to shut off the AC prematurely.

What was the size of the old AC?

• galore2112
    10 years ago

2.5 tons for a 1200sf house in northern California?

How did they come up with this size?

For comparison: I have a 2 ton system for a two story house twice the size of your house, located in Dallas (much hotter, humid summer).

• flower10lady
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I try to keep it at 78 degrees, outside might have been about 85 degrees on the day I showed the temps.

There is no vent near the thermostat.

The manual mentions a CPH, but when I try to bring it up in the installer's menu, it does come up. I believe it is #10. It could be it is not applicable to my model. My old one had a adjustable SPAN setting.

The old unit might have been 5 tons, they tell me. It was a Rheem also and lasted about 25 years. Then I replaced it with a Tempstar and after about 5 years it developed a leak the they wanted almost $1,000 to fix and fill it (old refrig too).

So I decided to replace it and the original heater (about 35 years old). It was rusted out. I had them put in a 98% Rheem Furnace in to replace it. It was $9,300 total.

I told them the square footage and that is the size they recommended. It does get 90-100 and over here. I don't see the size on the label of the Condenser, only the Model #RAPM-030JEZ and some other info. I'll have to look on the side facing the house to see if there is another label showing the size.

They came out about a week ago and changed the thermostat to see if that was the problem. No help.

They keep telling that is how the new ones run now--constantly.

• flower10lady
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This is the label on the AC condensor.

• flower10lady
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I tried to answer all your questions in my last message. I guess no one has any further help for me.

• mike_home
    10 years ago

It is hard to fix an over sized condenser. Your HVAC contractor should have done a load calculation. You would have saved a lot of money on the installation and operating costs.

Can you set the the CPH on the new thermostat? If not call you installer and tell them you want a better thermostat installed at their expense.

• tigerdunes
    10 years ago

Short of replacing the condenser with a smaller size,, the CPH setting on the right thermostat model is the best alternative to get longer runtimes. Suggested both by myself and Mike.

IMO

• flower10lady
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for your input. I guess I'll have to write them a letter regarding the problems and your suggestions. I'm hearing a rattle noise when the heater turns on now. Also, they were supposed to get a permit for the work but I haven't heard anything about about it from them, nor seen an inspector.

• energy_rater_la
    10 years ago

The old unit might have been 5 tons, they tell me.

unlikely for a 1200 sq ft house.
    but moot at this point.
    your condenser is 2.5 tons.

by all means put your communication in writing
    but you should also have a conversation with
    the company expressing your concerns.

best of luck.

• SaltiDawg
    10 years ago

flower10lady,

After not hearing a response to your post for 11 days you posted sarcasm. You then do not post for 12 days after getting a response.

These folks are knowledgeable and are trying to help you.

I do hope you get your issues resolved.

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?