Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
smtrwl

How many btu's do I need?

smtrwl
14 years ago

I obtained several estimates for replacing my current furnace. I am leaning toward the American Standard 95% two stage system. However, the btu's needed for my home seem to vary with each service company.

I live in Metro Detroit...it gets rather cold in the winter. Our home is approximately 1600 sq feet. It is an aluminum sided tri level with average, or less then average, insulation. The current system is a Rheem 75,000 BTU's. My air conditioner was replaced a couple of years ago it is 2.5 ton. The estimates range anywhere from 60,000 to 80,000 btu's on a replacement furnace.

I have found some information based on the region I live in that I should mulitply 50 by the sq ft. (50 x 1600 = 80,000 btu's). Is this based on a higher efficiency furnace?? Because I found other information saying that my BTU requirement should go down with a higher efficiency furnace. Soooo much information and it is frustrating deciphering it. Any opinions or suggestions where to obtain the most up-to-date and accurate information?

Comments (4)