Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Venting dryer thru vacant roof furnace duct

Posted by feeth (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 12, 11 at 21:56

I have a vacant furnace vent. (furnace now vents another way)

My dryer vents into garage right now. Going to run new metal 4" ducting up into attic, install Fantech DBF 110 Dryer Booster Kit inline. Will also have another lint trap in the wall.

Was thinking of venting it out thru the soffit, but can I use the vacant furnace vent that goes thru the roof?

TIA!

Here is a link that might be useful: picture of furnace vent

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Venting dryer thru vacant roof furnace duct

Never vent through the soffit.

Your proposed method seems to entail condensation problems.

Best dryer venting is short and smooth.

Can you do it? Probably. Insulated ducting MIGHT solve condensation trouble.

o

My attic only gets max temp of 93 thanks to foam insulation, so would not that combined w/ the dryer booster fan reduce condensation?

Any thoughts on the vacant furnace vent?

o

It sounds good in theory, but I would not do it. Those dryer vents need a good cleaning out from time to time, and it's easier to push the lint out from inside the house. In a furnace vent, you'd have to push it up, or pull it up, or vacuum it out somehow.

o

"Any thoughts on the vacant furnace vent?"

As stated earlier, you can probably do it. There is a nagging doubt in the back of my mind about some tin badge home inspector causing trouble down the road (say, resale).
You'll have to remember to clean the lint trap(s). Seems easy to forget.
Since you're running a booster there is also the potential of de-pressurizing your house, something you need to consider inre: heating/cooling, combustion draft etc.

o

thanks everyone!

o

"My attic only gets max temp of 93 thanks to foam insulation, so would not that combined w/ the dryer booster fan reduce condensation? "

Lower temps INCREASE the chance of condensation by cooling the warm dryer air.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here