Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
countryboymo

My Compressor Failed

countryboymo
9 years ago

We had a bad power surge a couple years ago and the heat pump had to be opened up and the control board reset and I think it stressed the compressor. It spit the power terminals and every bit of R410A last sunday. It is under warranty and it will be replaced tomorrow with a new wiring harness caps and filter and I think they are going to flush the system also just in case it has been contaminated. I lock the heat pump out below 10 degrees. I am not thrilled about the whole thing but I know many compressors get replaced and the systems run forever after with no issues.

I seriously doubt this could be proven as the surge and failure are so far apart so I highly doubt if I had a utility surge protector that I could get reimbursement from them if it was not under warranty.

Comments (18)

• tigerdunes
    9 years ago

As I recall, that's a Rheem.

What will be your warranty on the replacement compressor?

TD

• countryboymo
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The compressor wiring harness and start cap were all covered. The labor and r410 were not. I couldn't exactly remember the terms of the warranty and monday the 'technician' wrote up a bill for the 89.00 call out fee and said they would get the parts on the way and get us back up and going. The statement showed the model numbers serial numbers to order the compressor, filter and all other assorted pieces with the 89.00 to be paid at time of completion of repair. Today I was informed labor and freon are not covered to the tune of 900.00 and I about fell over.

I proceeded to let my cheese slide right off the cracker and he informed me that he could take the compressor and leave blah blah. I told him it is like taking your car in for a repair and being told 80 bucks and then 4 days later you find out it is now 900.00. and you have been without it for days and had no choice but to pay up.

I contacted my insurance and they are going to cover a portion of it. I think it is time to find another company.

• tigerdunes
    9 years ago

Not surprised. I think you were misled whether through ignorance by tech or on purpose. Still $900 sounds on the high side.

Again, I would want to know what will be the warranty on the new replacement compressor. You should be interested in this as well.

Sorry for your trouble. Your system is up and running now?

IMO

• countryboymo
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I thought it was high also. The iaq module had a failed circuit on the heat strips and was supposed to be changed last fall under the fall maintenance but forgotten about and that was the real reason to have them out. Well they forgot it this time too and it was on the ticket to do along with the compressor and I got charged 129.00 to swap the module and stat and of course they set it to their liking instead of reviewing what I had set. I have no lockouts now and iis trying to keep the house within at least one degree. Total.... 1074.84. Time to research a new company. They will not be in my home again.

• tigerdunes
    9 years ago

Again what is your warranty on new compressor?

TD

• countryboymo
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The owner told me the new compressor has no extra warranty just carrots what is left on my unit which is basically 5 more years and one month. I think that is bull since it is an OEM compressor. I need to contact rheem I think.

• countryboymo
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The tech never operated the system in heat mode or even came into the house to check anything after recharging the system. It was 60 degrees outside this morning so I decided to turn on the heat... error 40 on the stat with no pump. I checked his wiring on the new IAQ module and settings in the unit... of course my lockouts were disabled and my cycles per hour were default settings. The humidifier was not activated either. Code 21 on the unit in heating mode but it runs in a/c but with a 15 degree differential.

I was not left with the newer paperwork and I now have a 173 function that is not listed on my older guide.

I don't have such a problem with paying for a professional but I want to know the cost and want everything done that is on the paperwork. Oh and I want all functions to work correctly

• tigerdunes
    9 years ago

To be clear, the company making the repair/replacement is same as the original installing company?

If not why not?

TD

• countryboymo
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Same company. I have not had any other company touch it since the install.

• tigerdunes
    9 years ago

a very disappointing service from this company. Hope they get it straightened out. Obviously you need the latest error code guide.

System should be checked out both for heating and cooling. Settings should be made to your preferences. Their job, not yours.

Keep us posted.

TD

• countryboymo
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I totally agree. I was called today for tips on setting up the stat and things to look for that might be causing the heat pump to not work because if it is not their fault I will have another... Count it, one more 89 dollar trip fee. I told the guy.. No one checked the heat pump function to verify it does or does not work. Your fault.. Not mine and secondly if it is a code 21 low side pressure/ inadequate charge being flagged on the circuit board, what the heck would the thermostat settings have to impact that?? Appointment Wednesday another day of wasted vacation for me. I am seriously considering contacting rheem.

• countryboymo
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I found out today they will not come out tomorrow without another 89.00 fee to show up and look at why the heat pump will not run more than 5 minutes and locks out with a code 21 which of course is not my flipping job to look for a code or even know how to do anything but select heat/ cool/ auto and what temp I want!

I also got told that my 10 year warranty is compromised because I haven't had the unit cleaned or checked but twice since the 09 install. The last time I had them come out to clean the coils, check the system and replace the thermostat that was bad that was forgotten I was told they didn't need cleaned. I ended up rinsing the outside unit out myself and getting plenty of dirt. Since when does the factory warranty hinge on a preventative maintenance program that is a 90 dollar twice a year JOKE?

• countryboymo
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Now what... drop them and get someone else to finish what they didn't do since I have to pay anyway? The majority of discomfort through this should be the few days with thermal discomfort. I can't find a number for Rheem/Ruud. I guess it is time to start writing out a email.

• tigerdunes
    9 years ago

My best advice.

I think you would be wasting your time attempting to contact Rheem much less getting any support that would help your issues.

You need help now. Document everything in writing. List out unresolved problems that require attention. Then visit in person face to face the dealer's owner or gen manager. Try to get an appointment or even go unannounced. Of course this will be time consuming. If you don't want to pursue this with the installing dealer, then you are left to find another dealer who will come in to clean up a mess, on your dime.

IMO

• countryboymo
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ok low side pressure 125lbs and high side pressure 175lbs at 65 degrees outside temp and 74 inside. I questioned the 'tech' cause the charts I see online and on his gauge set show that for 40 degrees. He is convinced the txv outside has a bad bulb and is not opening on heat mode and is causing the low side pressure.

According to my charting the pressure should be around 190. I do have 17 degrees differential on cooling return vs supply but it is also 65 outside.

• jakethewonderdog
    9 years ago

Wow, just wow!

Okay- so here's what I know. When a service person comes out they need to operate the unit to be sure it's operating correctly before they leave. Period. You can't say it's fixed if you don't. If not, it's on them.

Technicians want to be paid like a professional. I get that. However that means they need to be properly trained, and have professional workmanship. Far too often, particularly with AC/Heat pump techs that's simply not the situation. For $900 you should have received stellar service.

The balance of the original warranty is a common situation.

I hate compressor replacements! Too often the tech doesn't have the skill level, the system doesn't get cleaned up well, it doesn't get charged correctly and it turns into a mess.

Bad TX valve?!? No way that should have gotten past him when the compressor was replaced!
    Or was it that he didn't clean up the system?

I would refuse to pay for this call - that it should have been done right the first time they were there.

• harlemhvacguy
    9 years ago

wow just wow is great way to put it.

this is still same company i suppose?
    Listen..... pressure alone is NOT an acceptable way to charge a txv system. Only correct way to charge a txv system is by subcooling or weigh in methods. If that is to technical for your tech then get another one. When doing compressor change outs since refrigerant is all out of system anyway, the weigh in method is the most accurate.
    Could be bad txv in outdoor unit as it is the one used for heat with different one inside used for cooling. Might be time for second opinion.

• countryboymo
    Original Author
    9 years ago

My quote 7900.00 to replace the system and start over, 4,300 to replace the outside unit by itsetlf

or another 700.00 to replace the txv. I am waiting to hear from my insurance. I started writing a letter to the owner to keep my thoughts gathered to call him but I do intend to use better words than 'Job Praposal' in the letter just in case I opt to send it to him. I had to forward the most unprofessional bid or job proposal to my insurance adjuster that I have read that wasn't a joke.

The txv should have been caught at time of repair so I wouldn't have to take a day off without pay to have it diagnosed. When the txv or whatever is completed it will be the 4th day of having a tech out here. I have had some other opinions that he might be on the right track and the pressures and charge might be right but I am tired of might maybe and murphy being deeply involved in this. LOL