Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
morgan13_gw

New quote for hvac...need thoughts

morgan13
10 years ago

Hi all,

New here and wanted to get some advice on replacing my 15 yr old carrier system. I live in inland San Diego....been in the low 100's today and the old ac is working sometimes and not at other times....guy that came to give the estimate looked at the old system and found it to be working but overcharged with freon....did not offer to do anything about it but said it could be causing the problem. So for the estimate...he is a Trane guy and gave two estimates...one for just the condenser and coil and one with the heater to be replaced. Nothing really wrong with the heater but seems very cheap to replace at the same time as the ac system....heater also 15 yrs.

1075 sq ft home

Trance xb13 condenser 3 ton
Matched Trane coil 3 ton...no load test done

$3164

With added heater XB80
$3932

Did not mention ducting or permits so I asked....said oh do you want me to look at the ducting....duh...gets in attic and says asbestos ducting and must be replaced....$1000 total. So I feel the estimate is pretty good I am a little bothered by the lack of detail.

Any thoughts....have two more companies coming in the next week to do estimates as well.

Thanks,
Morgan

Comments (26)

• klem1
    10 years ago

I am also troubled by the estimator's atitude. No repitable company sells new equipmet without inspecting the supply and returns. Did he write on the estimate regarding asbestos? When was the house built? I can't emagine useing asbestos on anything other than a gas flue. I would pass on that company.

• morgan13
    Original Author
    10 years ago

No, did not write anything about asbestos....but now thinking about it maybe he meant that the insulation was asbestos. The house was built in 1972. He is foreign so I could have misunderstood what he meant...he mentioned color of eith the ducts or insulation as the indicator that it contained asbestos. He has great ratings from past customers. Will see what the second guy tomorrow says.

Morgan

• tigerdunes
    10 years ago

You need other quotes.

Size and age of your home?

Size of existing system you will be replacing both furnace and AC?

The question of asbestos in attic seems strange. Call an insulation contractor.

IMO

• morgan13
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I noted size of home and year built....system in use, can't seem to locate size as the labels are all faded. More quotes coming.

• tigerdunes
    10 years ago

Sorry for overlooking size of home.

Did not see age of home though. Asbestos has been outlawed a long time.

IMO

• cecash1
    10 years ago

House was built in 72 TD, so asbestos in there is plausible. His abatement price seems rather low IMO

• tigerdunes
    10 years ago

You need a second opinion on both the question of asbestos and HVAC.

On the furnace, I would want a model like Trane's XT80 that has high eff blower. If you plan on staying with the XB series of condensers, I would go with the XB14. Some configurations with the XT80 furnace and Trane coil will qualify for Fed Tax Credit.

IMO

• morgan13
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ok, so second company came today....I don't have the estimate yet but he also said the ducting is asbestos....he said to have it done by an abatement company would run around $2500 which we don't have in addition to the costs of replacing the system. He said we could do it ourselves (uggg, we scraped the popcorn when we moved in (bought respirators) but that was not fun)....he also offered sorta to do it for us as a "don't ask don't tell" situation for a much cheaper price....so I would image the 1st guy was doing it in a non legal fashion as well give his cost. Will post when I get the second estimate. He did offer to throw in the heater unit for free which would then make the permits and testing be a wash at around $800 so that made me happy. And I did not have to ask the second guy about the ducting....he asked to see it. Also said 3 ton is oversized for the 1075 ft but said the reason it is not cooling as well as I would like it ducting size and needs a couple more registers....make sense?

Morgan

• morgan13
    Original Author
    10 years ago

And forgot to mention, the company today, the estimator asked me what brand I wanted....he can get Trane, Rheem but said those are more expensive, is giving quotes for Carrier and Lenox....I will post later what specifically he gives quotes for.

• tigerdunes
    10 years ago

You want a small furnace 80% eff single stage with 3 ton rated high eff blower.

I would think a 2 1/2 ton AC condenser large enough for 1100 sq ft.

IMO

• morgan13
    Original Author
    10 years ago

tigerdunes....yes, that is pretty much what the second guy was saying....2.5 ton was plenty big enough for the compressor and that blower which is currently a 3 ton....but he said the 2.5 would go fine with the 3 ton blower (which I question so thanks for saying the same as he did)....any suggestions for Carrier or Lenox systems for me to look for when he gets the estimate back to me today.

• morgan13
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ok, just got the second quote....lot more expensive.

He only did a quote for a Lenox system because he gets better deal on the furnace.

Furnace is Lenox 45,000 btu Model ML180UH045XE36A
    Condenser is Lenox Mocel 13ACX-030
    Coil is Lenox Model CX34-30A6F
    Thermostat Honeywell Pro 4000

Estimate includes cutting in two new ducts into bedrooms which are never cool enough.

Permits and testing $800
    New Ductwork $1,100

So $4698 for the hardwear and labor
    plus the permits and testing plus the ductwork and his cost to remove asbestos ducting of $500

Total
    $7,098...ouch!

Then also said "changing condenser to a 14ACX you actually get to 14.7" and only costs an additional $200.

Thoughts Please??

Morgan

• morgan13
    Original Author
    10 years ago

No thoughts or comments?

• tigerdunes
    10 years ago

Lennox not a brand I care for.

The ACX series of condensers are low end and I would never recommend.

The best part of the quote is the sizing especially the furnace which is a builder grade model.

IMO

• morgan13
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Tiger dunes,

Ok, so if I was going ask these various companies to quote me a trane system....keeping in mind I have a tight budget....what components should I ask for? The first guy was a trance guy but clearly a light shady but had a great price on a trance system but.....so give Trane components to ask for and about what the quote should be?

Morgan

• tigerdunes
    10 years ago

XT80 60 KBTU size furnace
    XB14 2 1/2 ton AC condense
    Best matching Trane evap coil that qualifies system for Fed Tax Credit
    HW Mdl 8321 thermostat

How do you filter your return air now?

Same available from sister company AmStd usually less expensive.

IMO

• morgan13
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I assume the large grate here in the living room near the floor is the return? Seems to be underneath the furnace but separated by a partition and has the standard filter gotten at home depot.

Morgan

• tigerdunes
    10 years ago

That's oK then...I will give you another choice on similar system tomorrow. Watching a video tape of college football from yesterday this evening...

IMO

• morgan13
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ok thanks....no rush....3rd company coming tues and waiting to make appointments with 2 others

• tigerdunes
    10 years ago

Rudd/Rheem is one of the most underrated and overlooked HVAC companies. Solid equipment, not always cutting edge.

Rheem Furnace RGPT 80% 50 K size
    Rheem 14 AJM 2 1/2 ton AC condenser
    Best matching Rheem coil to achieve Fed Tax Credit
    HW Mdl #8321 thermostat

IMO

• morgan13
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Tigerdunes,

Thanks for those two setups....I will ask for those configurations to be quotes...only thing I probably would not need though is with the thermostat....here close to the desert in San Diego we are usually pretty dry so humidity is not ofter an issue....another thermostat recommendation ?

Morgan

• tigerdunes
    10 years ago

Just a cheap off on digital then with tight tolerances, no swings. You would have to decide whether programming is needed. Even your old one might suffice. I like Honeywell models.

I like the Trane system better.

The Rheem furnace is sized a bit smaller but I think that would be fine for your climate. The Rheem condenser has great numbers but it is rather low end and made South of the border. Still a 10 yr warranty on parts/compressor.

IMO

• morgan13
    Original Author
    10 years ago

tigerdunes,

OK, on the thermo....programing yes for on/off times for heater and temp set points for ac but nothing fancy.

Never had a problem with current heater getting house warm....sleep at night with heater set to like 58 anyway as I like it cold at night. And day temps in San Diego rarely get below 60.

I already asked the second company to quote on the two systems you recommended and he happily replied he would do just that. I did not ask the first company yet (the one that did not ask to see the ducting)....one more coming tomorrow and two more inquiries in.

Morgan

• morgan13
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Another quote today

⢠New furnace 3 Ton brand(TRANE)model" XL80 >(3TON,60,000 BTU)2stage
    ⢠New condenser unit 3 Ton brand (Trane) model XB 16 up to (16.5 seer)
    ⢠New coil 3 ton brand (Trane) matching coil
    ⢠New thermostat digital (2 stage)
    ⢠New filter, Condenser Pad ,disconnect box
    ⢠New gas flex ,safety switch
    ⢠Remove old duct and old system
    ⢠Install new duct flex R6
    ⢠Add 1 supply
    ⢠Seal all connection, connect drain line
    ⢠10 years warranty for parts, 10 years compressor, and 2 years labor
    ⢠Duct testing, city permit
    ⢠Run and test the system
    Total to pay: $6,221.00 include (Tax, Parts, Labor, Permit)

Thoughts on this setup and price? Have had two companies that i questioned the size of ac and both said due to the high temps here...up to 110 at times, that 3 ton was best.

• morgan13
    Original Author
    10 years ago

No comments on the last quote and equipment choice? Another company quoted the same system for about $2500 more!!! And the above quote is from the only company offering a 2 yr labor warantee.

• morgan13
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Another company came yesterday and said 3 ton condenser and 4 ton furnace and blower. Goodman is the brand they use but the amazing thing is the guy was the owner and said they give a TEN year on labor....wow. I am jus amazed at how all over the board the pricing is. Almost 7k for the lowest end goodman and 6,300 for a 16 seer higher end Trane system....ugg. I really really got a good feeling for the goodman contractor but have not read much positive about goodman esp vs trane....anyone have any further comments?

Sponsored
Koura Remodeling
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Virginia's Top Choice for Reliable General Contractors