Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is Carrier heat pump quote fair?

Posted by Rasja (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 25, 12 at 21:01

I have a 1,200 heated sf house in the mountains of Western North Carolina. Winters are mild with temps generally averaging in the high 40s during the coldest months.

My 2-ton 13 SEER heat pump needs replacing. I've received several quotes, but I want to go with a 2-ton 16.5 SEER, 2-stage Carrier Infinity system.

The company that quoted me measured the whole house, checked out my insulation and duct work. He did a load calc, as well.

Is the following price fair? It's a 2-stage model.

2-Ton Carrier Infinity model 25HNB624A003 2-stage
BTUH cooling: 24,000
SEER: 16.5
HSPF: 9.0
Copper refrigerant line with insulation 3/4 x 3/8
Air handler model: FEANF002T00 Carrier
Infinity thermostat (P)
Condensate drain hook-up, primary
Condensate pump inside, pump to outside
Clean all ducts
10-yr warranty on compressor, ID coil, OD coil, parts
2-year warranty on labor

Total price: $8,150 - $1,000 Carrier instant rebate = $7,150

Plus, I will receive a $300 rebate from Progress Energy.

Thank you!!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is Carrier heat pump quote fair?

That is tremendously expensive. I'm not sure your location, but I'm in Arizona and my neighbor replace his whole thing for the same 13 SEEK, and 2 Ton for approximately $6000 (he got some incentives also, so he ended up paying $3800 or so).

I believe you should do the due diligence and attempt to get different quotes from different manufactures. Hopefully you've already done that... :)

o

A two stg is overkill for such a small living area. Plus for your location, I would want a HP system that has electronic demand defrost. Carrier does not offer that feature. I would look at a Trane XR15 or XL15i, American Standard Heritage 15 heat pumps.

IMO

o

Thanks for your replies. I decided to go with a much more inexpensive 1-stage Carrier system. It is a 15 SEER, and isn't quite 9 HSPF--it's 8.7. Total cost is 4,990.

o

Post mdl numbers.

A var speed air handler? I hope so.

IMO

o

I agree with TD. A single-stage HP, variable blower and demand defrost.

o

The price of that unit MAY be a little over $1000, with all the other materials and labor, you may be talking $4000 or a little under, but the thing is if you go with a big name company, you will get a BIG price bc they have a high overhead, if you go with a smaller company you will get a lower price because they do not have high overhead and better work, because they want your referrals and you to be a happy customer, so they will take their time and do it RIGHT.

o

Thats absolutely ridiculous, I HATE to see people get ripped off.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here